Talk

Advanced search

Motilium

(4 Posts)
chloeb2002 Fri 24-May-13 22:04:59

Ok.. I have been on motillium since ds was 2 weeks old for many reasons, poor supply and poor latch. He still hasn't got the greatest latch. I have managed to reduce to 30 mg a day but then my milk dropped off, I never have that full n the morning feeling had wit my other children when I had good supply. I am wondering if I will ever get off motillim? I'm perfectly aware that I don't need to "feel" full to have a good supply but maybe due to a less than effective latch ds just fusses at the boob if thee isn't plenty of juice there! His latch has been looked at many times, I will take him again to see the lactation consultant but will wait for 2 more weeks, mostly as I am helping a friend with child care who is sick at the moment and limited time and to many small people to drag along!

Trying2bMindful Fri 24-May-13 23:57:29

Who prescribed it, why & What do you want to know now?
I was prescribed domperidone for a while & successfully weaned off it after a few months & am still bf DS at 12mo.
As well as the drugs I did:
- breast compressions at every feed up until he was 8 wks
- pumped for 10-15 mins after at least 4 feeds every day from week 3-7
- had DS PTT snipped
- DS had cranial osteopathy
- I had reflexology
- got lots of sleep & support at home
- ate lots of oats & lactation cookies
- attended weekly bf support groups or met with a lactation consultant for 4 - 8 weeks
- took 9 tabs of fenugreek & 9 tabs of blessed thistle daily for a couple of months
- drank nursing tea all day for months (& avoided peppermint tea!)
- measured bf success by his weight gain rather than how full I felt or looked or how much I pumped (which was never great!).

Does my story help?! What else would help?
Have you checked the Dr Jack Newman site & his domperidone help sheets?

Check out:
http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21:herbal-remedies-for-milk-supply&catid=5:information&Itemid=17
http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14:domperidone-getting-started-&catid=5:information&Itemid=17

Good luck. grin

chloeb2002 Sat 25-May-13 20:31:48

Yes that helps... Prescribed by the o and g team. My gp now re issues it. He has no idea however about how long etc to take it. I guess 10 weeks is still ok. Bub is now doing just fine weight gaining and happy. No tongue tie just a short square tongue.

Trying2bMindful Sat 25-May-13 21:08:43

Wow. Sounds like you are doing so well. Well done! You've done great to get the support you need. It was a nightmare on the NHS for us but we got there in the end!

Dr jack Newman has a paper on weaning off domperidone. I found it v helpful. I was so worried about my supply that I did not totally come off it until DS was 5 months old. I reduced the dosage by 1 tab every week. So once I had decided to reduce it took 8 weeks to take it to zero. Be warned though that I found myself a little emotional at the start of each reduction - not sure if that was coincidence or not!!

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now