Talk

Advanced search

What would your ideal breastfeeding drop in group be like?

(35 Posts)
SuffolkNWhat Fri 24-May-13 18:19:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 24-May-13 18:42:52

Someone "running" the group, who as soon as they see a new face goes over to them and makes them feel welcome, shows where changing facilities etc are and brings a drink.

A way to feed discreetly, if you are just figuring it out a circle of chairs is pretty intimidating.

Somewhere private you can go to have an expert observe a feed.

Bert2e Fri 24-May-13 18:48:40

Blow the healthy snacks - a sobbing mum needs tea, cake and nice tissues!

Thurlow Fri 24-May-13 18:52:09

A mix of healthy snacks and good old-fashioned biscuits. All I remember from those first few months is forgetting to eat until I had a complete crash and needed sugar fast!

And definitely someone to welcome you, also to introduce you to other mums. I would have loved a group that pointed me in the direction of another mum who didn't seem to know anyone and introduced us, rather than that shifty eyeing up of strangers.

MyNameIsSuz Fri 24-May-13 18:58:00

We have a really great group here. It's run by the health centre but is always the same three volunteers, so they get to know the babies. There's always a cake, areas for a little privacy if you're not quite comfortable feeding yet or having problems. There's often a health visitor there but they will go and get one if needed, and there's a weighing station which really helped me to make sure my baby was feeding properly and actually growing.

CMOTDibbler Fri 24-May-13 18:58:51

Another voice for someone to meet people, introduce them to others, and to keep an eye out for those who aren't being talked to. The only baby group I liked going to was run by a local church, and the older ladies who ran it were brilliant at this and really made you feel welcome.

rundontwalk Fri 24-May-13 19:03:33

All of the above,plus the offer of 1:1 sessions-this could just be sitting off to one side-not everyone wants to sit in a largish group to discuss any problems they might be having.

StrangeGlue Fri 24-May-13 19:32:31

Well informed people who don't say crap like 'cow's milk is for making calfs fat and [human] breast milk is for growing babies brains' and an openness to the fact that some people will move to ff for a multitude of reasons, some inevitable.

Biscuits

Making it clear men are welcome too

Leaflets/diagrams you can take away and refer to (baby brain)

Breast pump hire

Someone who'll speak to you straight away

Friendly mums who are good at breast feeding and just come to hang out and are lovely and supportive

Tissues!!

Awakeagain Fri 24-May-13 19:43:46

Toys and play mats for the babies
Comfy chairs (if possible) but also suitable for bf
Information packs for people to take away - milk storage, pumping, latch, positions, useful numbers,
Agree on a private area for people who need some help and have maybe not mastered discreet feeding yet
Biscuits!

Awakeagain Fri 24-May-13 19:44:29

Information packs for people to take away - milk storage, pumping, latch, positions, useful numbers,
Agree on a private area for people who need some help and have maybe not mastered discreet feeding yet
Biscuits!

Awakeagain Fri 24-May-13 19:44:30

Biscuits!

SuffolkNWhat Fri 24-May-13 19:52:24

sugarandspite Fri 24-May-13 20:04:15

The group I went to served cups of tea and hot drinks in insulated cups with lids to drink through. Perfect for giving you plenty of time to drink it while its hot and also for nervous new mums who are scared of drinking hot stuff while feeding!

Also a variety of different type of breastfeeding pillows and cushions (and normal ones) to try out and somewhere private with a bed / comfy floor mat where you can get help with feeding lying down.

mawbroon Fri 24-May-13 20:13:12

Someone who really knows their stuff about tongue tie.

Facelikeafriendlyapple Fri 24-May-13 20:14:53

Health visitor (or whomever is running group) who asks you questions and then listens to what you say, rather than just trotting out a stock response. Also making sure the group isn't on at the same time/day as other bf groups so if you miss one, you miss all <particularly irritating in my area>

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 24-May-13 20:20:49

KelleStar Fri 24-May-13 20:26:23

Tea/coffee and biscuits!

Toys to distract babies/toddlers.

A meet and greet person makes all the difference. Peer supporters that are BFing and happy to provide peer to peer support, seeing someone else BFing made me more confident and aware of different positions. Someone to openly start conversations/friendly debate.

I was intimidated by HV's so avoided the sessions they were involved in, my DD was a low centile and the advice was awful and I found that advice from my peers was better and allowed me to BF my daughter for longer.

I attended my group even after DD was weaned, DS is 4 weeks and he is such a different feeder that it is like starting again. Good luck!

aftermay Fri 24-May-13 20:26:41

Keep it real. Just because you've had a baby not everyone becomes obsessed with anti-medicine, all organic, 'we don't keep paracetamol in the house' etc.

KelleStar Fri 24-May-13 20:27:51

Oh and it's got stronger over the years and more attendees, a great reputation as a relaxed group helps, which in turn attracts more interest and from wider afield.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 24-May-13 20:38:18

EauRouge Fri 24-May-13 21:00:56

Cake, lots of cake. And hot drinks.

Places to put small babies such as bouncy chairs, baby nests etc.

A group library of breastfeeding and parenting books.

An informal atmosphere where women can have a good laugh and make friends and most importantly where they can be honest without being judged. Let women know they will not be judged for formula top-ups, dummies etc.

Maybe ask everyone to keep things they hear in the group confidential so people can ask about sensitive topics.

SuffolkNWhat Fri 24-May-13 21:05:21

DeathMetalMum Fri 24-May-13 21:12:00

Toys/somehing for toddlers to do, and some bouncy chairs to put babies in if there are toddlers/older children bouncing around. The group I go to is actually pretty perfect I am lucky.

I will say though that the group used to run through lunchtime and it did make I difficult once dc was weaning as there was only 3 highchairs so only 3 could eat at one time. I know you said snacks would be provided but I used to have to take lunch etc and was a bit of a faff. I can only imagine how difficult it would make it if I had a toddler at the same time. Also any mums with pre-school age children may find it difficult to attend due to start/finish times. I was a bit upset at the time when our group changed its time to a 9.30 start finishing at 11.30 (previously ran from 11-1) but it was actually much better. The group also got busier.

DeathMetalMum Fri 24-May-13 21:13:38

Our childrens centre has got past the hot drinks thing by having thermal camping cups with lids. Maybe they might allow that?

SuffolkNWhat Fri 24-May-13 21:13:54

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now