Talk

Advanced search

7 month old DS won't keep down formula

(4 Posts)
Georgez78 Fri 24-May-13 17:23:15

My 7 month old son has had diarrhea and has been vomiting since Sunday night, he couldn't keep down any of his formula ( I BF till 6 months) His PD said to give him rice milk, he has been drinking it since and everyday I try a bottle of formula as well but he throws it up and is refusing any solids except the odd spoon of banana I manage to sneak in, the PD says he has a virus and it will pass but its taking ages, he sleeps all day and rice milk has no calories or goodness in it whatsoever.. any advice?? The PD also advised to give him electrolyte juice which made the diarrhea worse and when I ran out of it the pharmacy wouldn't give me anymore as they said its only for children over 2 years!!! Please help..

ilovepowerhoop Fri 24-May-13 18:16:29

I wouldnt give rice milk as it isnt advised for children under the age of 5 in the UK due to arsenic levels. We have dioralyte here which is suitable for all ages and helps replace lost salts due to vomiting and diarrhoea. Here it is also advised to continue with milk feeds alongside the dioralyte although I would give it in little and often rather than big milk feeds.

He sounds like he has been ill for a wee while so i would take him back to the doctor just to double check he is not dehydrated and to query why you are giving rice milk as it is not suitable for babies especially as it is low in fat/calories.

ilovepowerhoop Fri 24-May-13 18:18:23

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/diarrhoea-vomiting-children.aspx - nhs page about D&V

Georgez78 Fri 24-May-13 20:22:58

Thank you ilovepowerhoop, I will start him back on the formula xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now