Talk

Advanced search

What happened to my boobs?!

(3 Posts)
Humperdink123 Fri 24-May-13 09:07:28

Hi,
My Dd is nearly 7 months and I have pretty much EBF'd, the odd bottle of formula here and there when I've been out or wanted a break etc.
From the start I've had a major oversupply, lots of spraying and leaking boobs! Dd has learnt how to deal with over time so not such a problem anymore. However, at yesterday's bedtime feed (6.45pm) I just had no milk, no matter what happened there was no let down. Boobs felt really empty. Dd was prodding, pulling and nothing, could hear that she wasn't swallowing anything as well. So I ended up giving a bottle of formula.
I was able to do the feeds later in the night, but this morning my boobs look like my old boobs, way smaller and lighter than they have been for the last 7 months.
Did my body finally work out how to regulate my supply?! Is that possible?
X

tiktok Fri 24-May-13 09:29:12

This is 100 per cent normal. At some stage, sometimes gradually, sometimes suddenly, breasts stop over-producing and regulate their production - with well-established breastfeeding, supply is very sensitive to need, so the volume of milk produced can go up and down very readily, in response to the baby's feeding. It's not a problem.

At the same time, the fat that gives our breasts their shape even when we are not pregnant or breastfeeding (and we are unusual, as mammals, in having breasts at all outside this time) has been largely replaced with milk-producing and storing tissue which is just not as, er, fatty as fat smile

Result? Smaller, lighter breasts than before.

I think it's unlikely you had no milk yesterday evening, but if this is the case, then it was no more than a very temporary blip - you will produce milk as and when your baby asks for it, without storing excess between times from now on, I expect smile

Humperdink123 Fri 24-May-13 09:37:50

Thank you tiktok! Will be such a relief if my body starts making what Dd needs rather than what it feels like doing! Ha ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now