Talk

Advanced search

Growth spurts - anyone feel like they run out of milk?

(10 Posts)
winetime1981 Thu 23-May-13 20:29:49

My nipples are sore and boobs empty! I never usually have any probs...

Six week growth spurt.

cathan Fri 24-May-13 14:34:05

Even when you feel empty, there is milk so baby will be getting some although the flow will be less. It's especially important to let s/he feed on demand during a growth spurt as this is what cues your milk production to increase. Just make sure baby is latching on properly (so you don't get sore) and hang in there - your supply will increase, it just takes a few days. When my DS was 4 months old, he went on a super growth spurt and it took a while for me to catch up. He even needed a feed in the middle of the night for about a week which was really hard as he'd been sleeping through for a couple of months. It did settle down though and I'm sure it will for you. Good luck!

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 24-May-13 20:55:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 24-May-13 20:57:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

winetime1981 Sat 25-May-13 15:52:56

Thanks ladies!!! The 24 hour feeding fest has ended thank the Lord! Boobs still a tad flaccid but I'm hoping they perk up soon - off for a nice herbal tea!

TwitchyTail Sat 25-May-13 17:38:02

Definitely feels like this but if you squeeze in the right place there will always be a dribble left smile I've had lots of success with fenugreek - £10 for 100 tablets from Holland and Barrett (probably cheaper elsewhere), and take a whole load (4 tablets 3 times a day ish). Also oats, if you like porridge!

winetime1981 Sun 26-May-13 05:27:00

Ooh thanks for the tip Twitchy!

I heard a great phrasefrom my bf counsellor trainer: boobs are a factory not a warehouse.

Sounds odd till you think of it, but they actually only site about 30% of any feed and the test is made on demand.

boobs are amazing.

only store 30% ....

lilystem Sun 26-May-13 06:30:07

Like the factory analogy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now