Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

How long to breast feed a 10 month old?

(6 Posts)
Babymay1 Sun 19-May-13 08:37:32

Hi, just wondered how long it takes to breast feed your 10 month old. My DS is down to 3 feeds a day, but he still takes about 45 mins to feed. Others I know are much quicker like 15 mins. Still have issues with eating and poor weight gain, my DH keeps thinking I'm over feeding with the milk so not eating. I always thought a full milk feed is when they come off and want no more. Not based on how long it takes????

Midori1999 Sun 19-May-13 09:48:13

It does take as long as it takes and I wouldn't worry. My DD was feeding in about 10 minutes, often less at that age, but was having a million feeds a day still. In fact, until my milk dried up due to pregnancy (and she is still dry nursing, just at bedtime mainly though) she was still feeding 5 or 6 times a day at 22 months.

I'm not sure what the eating/weight gain issues are, but if your DS seems well in himself and healthy, with no health issues, I would personally ditch the scales and relax about eating if you can. I never had any of my DC weighed after a few months old.

LittleLisa78 Sun 19-May-13 12:01:28

Mine is quicker but feeds much more often and also not interested in food

katiecubs Sun 19-May-13 21:39:26

3 month old DS feeds in 3 minutes (or less!) every 2.5-3 hrs! I think it seems to vary massively.

Cloverer Sun 19-May-13 21:44:20

You could try speeding things up by swapping sides every time your DS slows.

However long he's feeding for though, 3 feeds a day isn't overfeeding!

Has he ever been checked for a tongue tie? Slow feeding, slow weight gain and problems eating are all related.

Babymay1 Sun 19-May-13 22:19:10

Hi all, thanks for your posts. I guess I shouldn't worry. With regards to his eating, even I don't know what the issues are. He'll have a few spoons and refuse any more. Not put on any weight at all over last 3 months. I'll check for a tongue tie cloverer x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: