Talk

Advanced search

How long to breast feed a 10 month old?

(6 Posts)
Babymay1 Sun 19-May-13 08:37:32

Hi, just wondered how long it takes to breast feed your 10 month old. My DS is down to 3 feeds a day, but he still takes about 45 mins to feed. Others I know are much quicker like 15 mins. Still have issues with eating and poor weight gain, my DH keeps thinking I'm over feeding with the milk so not eating. I always thought a full milk feed is when they come off and want no more. Not based on how long it takes????

Midori1999 Sun 19-May-13 09:48:13

It does take as long as it takes and I wouldn't worry. My DD was feeding in about 10 minutes, often less at that age, but was having a million feeds a day still. In fact, until my milk dried up due to pregnancy (and she is still dry nursing, just at bedtime mainly though) she was still feeding 5 or 6 times a day at 22 months.

I'm not sure what the eating/weight gain issues are, but if your DS seems well in himself and healthy, with no health issues, I would personally ditch the scales and relax about eating if you can. I never had any of my DC weighed after a few months old.

LittleLisa78 Sun 19-May-13 12:01:28

Mine is quicker but feeds much more often and also not interested in food

katiecubs Sun 19-May-13 21:39:26

3 month old DS feeds in 3 minutes (or less!) every 2.5-3 hrs! I think it seems to vary massively.

Cloverer Sun 19-May-13 21:44:20

You could try speeding things up by swapping sides every time your DS slows.

However long he's feeding for though, 3 feeds a day isn't overfeeding!

Has he ever been checked for a tongue tie? Slow feeding, slow weight gain and problems eating are all related.

Babymay1 Sun 19-May-13 22:19:10

Hi all, thanks for your posts. I guess I shouldn't worry. With regards to his eating, even I don't know what the issues are. He'll have a few spoons and refuse any more. Not put on any weight at all over last 3 months. I'll check for a tongue tie cloverer x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now