Talk

Advanced search

Staph infection and breast feeding

(3 Posts)
YouMaySayImADreamer Fri 17-May-13 16:17:47

A very similar question has been posted on here but i didnt want to gatecrash that thread and also my question is slightly different.

But i currently have what i think is a staph infection in my nose following a bout of tonsilitis and a cold (very painful, itchy, looks a bit like follicitus, sorry if tmi). I was just going to leave it alone to heal on its own and keep washing my hands in the meantime, but it occured to me that it might be dangerous for my baby whilst i breastfeed. Does anyone know if he would be protected by the breastmilk? How likely would it be for him to catch it if its inside my nose, i dont touch, and keep washing my hands? Is there even any risk to him if he did catch it? Thanks

thesoo Fri 17-May-13 16:25:15

Hi,
I had a staph infection in my nipple which I probably acquired in hospital whilst giving birth. I continued (in total agony!!) to breastfeed on the advice of the HV, as the virus cannot be transmitted through the milk apparently....

YouMaySayImADreamer Fri 17-May-13 16:44:27

Thats amazing, thanks so much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now