Talk

Advanced search

Night weaning tips please?

(6 Posts)
LlamateurDramatics Thu 16-May-13 22:03:41

DD is nearly 15 months old and feeding 4-5 times during the night at the moment - I'm shattered and really want to encourage her to night wean. She starts the night in her own bed then comes in with us usually around 11-12; she'll wake up once or twice before 11 and then at least twice more once she's in with us. With her brother it was easy, we had the same sleeping arrangements but all it took was a couple of nights of pretending to be asleep when he asked for a feed and then he stopped asking! With DD it's been completely different, she'll cry and try to get into my top, she'll stick her fingers up my nose and pull my hair to force me to respond to her. If I still ignore her she'll just keep on and on... I'm quite prepared to face the fact that she's not ready to wean yet but she'll only ask for a feed during the day when she's tired, and she can fall asleep without feeding so it's not that she's reliant on bf to get to sleep. Does anyone have any ideas for gentle night weaning?

LlamateurDramatics Thu 16-May-13 22:13:20

Forgot to mention that she has rejected all forms of formula but will quite happily drink cow's milk at the childminder (haven't been able to express this time at all).

Esiotrotter Thu 16-May-13 22:27:51

I'd say you just need to give up BF full stop.

I had to get medication to dry my milk up (took about 36 hours I think). My son was 3 yrs right enough. He used to creep through of a night time and help himself! He got a shock when he found mummy's boobles were broken! In fact, he only tried once or twice and when there was nothing there he stopped wanting to feed from me.

Good luck!

AllBellyandBoobs Thu 16-May-13 22:35:05

I tried around that age with no success. Tried again just before dd's 2nd birthday and it was easier, protest cries for a few nights but then general acceptance. I bought a gro clock and explained that milk was only available once the sun arrived, that seemed to help by providing a reference point for her

leedy Thu 16-May-13 22:37:48

How about the Dr Jay Gordon approach?
drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

You don't need to give up full stop to night wean if you don't want to - I kept up a couple of daytime feeds for ages after we night weaned DS1. We used something like Dr Jay's approach with a lot of settling work from DP and a couple of nights with me sleeping on the sofa bed downstairs (also we weren't co-sleeping with DS1). It was a rough week or two but it worked.

LlamateurDramatics Fri 17-May-13 06:51:18

Thanks for all your advice. leedy - thanks for the link, that's right up my street and I think I'll give that a go, if she gets too upset I'll leave it for a few more months then try again. I'm quite happy continuing with daytime and bedtime feeds for as long as she needs them (DS was nearly two when he stopped) but with the nights I could do with being used less as a snack bar!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now