Talk

Advanced search

EBF 14 week old not gaining weight

(5 Posts)
JoJoCK Thu 16-May-13 15:58:34

DS has only gained 3 ounces in 3 weeks and is at risk of falling into the underweight category. I have been advised to try to feed him more (i.e. wake him up during the day to feed every 3 hrs if he is asleep), and to express and offer this extra milk also. What else can I do? He seems happy generally apart from teething pain and is alert, smiley etc. thanks

mumtolilh Thu 16-May-13 16:24:46

Hi

Does baby spit up or be sick after feeding? I bf my lb & he was feeding very well but had terrible reflux & didn't gain weight well.He was 8Ibs 7oz at birth & only 10Ibs at 3 months.Now he is a healthy 18 month old ;)
I tried waking him up every 3 hours but I'm a believer that a baby will let you know when they are hungry

tiktok Thu 16-May-13 16:28:24

JoJock, this sounds as if it's worrying you sad

It can be very normal for older babies' weight to slow. There's normally no need for weighing more than once a month - weights taken more often than this can be misleading.

As well as feeding more often, you can try using at least both breasts once each feeding session, and switching more often than that, so that every time he slows down, you offer the other side, and back again.

Yes, you can express and give this as an extra but often, people who suggest this don't realise what a faff it is - and how pointless, in many cases, when a baby is clearly able to feed effectively (why express and then give the expressed milk? You might as well just feed direct....do ask whoever suggested this why expressing and giving in a bottle would be somehow better than simply feeding more. It can be appropriate help for a small, weak and vulnerable baby, but not normally for a 14 week old who is basically fine.)

hope this helps.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to eat more/better, drink more fluids or rest. None of that makes scrap of difference smile

JoJoCK Thu 16-May-13 16:50:46

Tiktok, thanks, I am a bit worried. But maybe that is because everyone seems to have fairly large or at least chubby babies these days and DS is skinny!
Totally agree expressing is a faff. The breastfeeding counsellor suggested it would increase my supply. I will keep up the feeding every couple of hours and not worry so much.

tiktok Thu 16-May-13 17:53:50

Yes, expressing will increase supply, but not as effectively as a feeding baby smile

I mean, there's nothing wrong with expressing, but I just don't see the benefit of it in your particular case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now