Talk

Advanced search

Refuse breast till he takes cup??

(5 Posts)
Astonmartinis Thu 16-May-13 14:01:25

Confused- 8 mo son won't give up the breast at all and I'm keen to switch afternoon feed to cup/bottle. He won't take it from me or anyone else and I've tried diff bottles etc. so do I get serious and offer formula or nothing? Or should I still give him breast milk when he refuses cup each day at this time?

cathan Thu 16-May-13 17:04:40

Lots of breastfed babies are very resistant to taking bottles/cups - my DD was adamant that she wouldn't have anything but me! So, since you want him to take a cup or bottle for his afternoon feed, you must not offer a breast feed when he refuses to take the alternative. It may seem cruel at first, but if you aren't firm, he's unlikely to even try. Make sure he's well and try not to get too upset when he refuses. And keep trying. You will get there - even my DD eventually took a cup!

VisualiseAHorse Thu 16-May-13 19:03:51

Yup - just plain refuse. If you offer a cup, and he doesn't want it, and then you offer boob, he's beginning to learn that every time he refuses, he'll still get boob.

I would sit him at the table in his high chair, give him a cup (sippy cup with hard spout would be best), and maybe a little handful of cereal (Cheerios go down well here), every afternoon at the same time.

Astonmartinis Fri 17-May-13 09:52:34

Thanks so much you two ladies. Great to get a strong opinion. Going to try today and ever after. Let's hope I can get through to him!

VisualiseAHorse Fri 17-May-13 16:44:40

Though I would like to point out - at a year old, my boy still just bangs his cup on the table, so I give him a bottle if I really want him to drink the milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now