Talk

Advanced search

Blocked duct taken over half of breast.

(6 Posts)
McBaby Wed 15-May-13 10:53:08

I woke in this morning with one very engorged breast after feeding it had not gone down so presumably a blocked duct. Due to past history of mastitis I want to clear it ASAP. Any tips?

I have tried feeding, expressing, hot shower, massage with electric toothbrush, soaking in hat water with Epsom salts and ibuprofen and its just getting bigger!!

LAF77 Wed 15-May-13 12:11:10

Hot water bottle?

rubyslippers Wed 15-May-13 12:13:28

comb it - wide tooth comb

sounds nuts but it does work

comb down towards the blockage

blueberryupsidedown Wed 15-May-13 12:18:29

I would say carry on doing what you are doing, have you tried a different position for the baby (ie rugby ball hold or lying on a bed). Mine only went down after changing position and lots of massage and hot flannels. Good luck.

SpottyTeacakes Wed 15-May-13 12:21:56

I suffer with these. I put a heat patch on my bra all day. Massage before and during feed. Only feed from that side (express other side) and express after to completely empty. Try position baby's chin where the block is. Then in the evening a have a hot bath, kneel down, dangle and massage (hard) then hand express and repeat until I can't do it anymore. This is the only way I've been able to clear it quickly and it bloody hurts. Hope it clears for you

SteepApproach Wed 15-May-13 13:26:06

I was on the phone to LLL about pretty much the same problem yesterday morning! One thing I was told that it was important to get heat on before a feed.

She also warned me it could take a while and that i just really needed to persist with all the different techniques. To my relief it cleared less than 24 hours after the first symptoms appeared. Hope it clears quickly for you too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now