Talk

Advanced search

Baby with a bad cold, not feeding much = boobs like rocks...help!!

(12 Posts)
Peanutbutternutter419 Wed 15-May-13 08:26:21

Hi all,

As i have said, my DS has a terrible cold which has meant that over the last 2 days and 2 nights he has been feeding really badly. Just getting him to have a feed has been hard enough and then when he eventually does, it is only for a couple of minutes.

My boobs have become so full that last night that i had to fill the basin with hot water and just rest them in there while massaging to take the edge off.

I have been expressing as much as i can but then an hour later they are just as bad!

Please help with some more suggestions...im so uncomfortable 24/7 !

imabiggirlnow Wed 15-May-13 08:34:42

I always rubbed Vicks vapour run or similar on my chest and then when the baby fed, he could inhale a little and was able to have a proper feed. Not an expert but I guess try to just express a little to ease the pain rather than a full pump because this will just trick your body into producing even more?

LillyofWinchester Wed 15-May-13 08:36:02

Ouch. And poor baby, I hope he gets better soon. Have you tried squirting saline solution up his nose before a feed so he is less bunged up? Or try feeding him so he's more upright?
Are you expressing by pump or by hand? Some people find by hand is more efficient.
Hopefully someone will be along soon with more ideas.

StitchAteMySleep Wed 15-May-13 08:37:55

Help your ds clear his mucus before a feed, it will mean he can feed for longer.

Saline drops in the nose to soften the mucus, then suck it out with a nasal bulb aspirator, you may have to suction several times. Feed him in a more upright position. If really bad feed him in the bathroom with the shower or bath running to build up steam.

LillyofWinchester Wed 15-May-13 08:40:47

I wondered about Vicks too but the reason they say not to use it on babies is because it can be an irritant and can actually narrow the nasal passages as the body makes more mucus to try and fight it. Apparently it can cause respiratory distress so that's why it says on the container not to use it. Have a look at this link www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2009/01/13/vicks.html

YoniBottsBumgina Wed 15-May-13 08:46:16

Breastmilk up the nose does the same job as saline drops and it's less fiddly! I used to swear by this grin

Do you know the proper hand expressing technique? There are videos online and it has a proper name which I can't recall... Helpful but I'm sure someone will know. Look on Kellymom.

Also, you do want to be expressing as much as poss if he's not feeding because the last thing you want is for your supply to drop. You don't have to save the milk but make sure you're getting it out and not staying engorged.

Oh and keep an eye out for signs of mastitis, too. Any blocked ducts or flu like symptoms in you and you must go straight to bed/the sofa and rest. Treat yourself as though you feel awful Nd just don't do anything unnecessary. If you get a temperature at all then see your GP and beg for antibiotics to head it off before it starts.

Good luck!

Peanutbutternutter419 Wed 15-May-13 09:22:47

Thank you for your quick replies! I hadnt thought about feeding him in the bathroom! We have been sitting in there a couple of times a day but it didnt occur to me to try and feed him at the same time!

Will put a bit of the baby vicks stuff on me next time too!
Yes im using the saline drops quite a lot and thwy seem to help quite a bit.

He is really sleepy though as obv fighting it but wont wake for a feed, i have tried to wake him to feed regularly and sometimes he will and other times just get really upset until i rock him back to sleep??

Dont feel like he's getting enough but still having wet nappies.

Peanutbutternutter419 Wed 15-May-13 09:24:11

Also thanks Yoni for the signs of mastitis, didnt even know what to look out for! Going to try and get a quick hot shower now to ease the pain! They hurt so bad!!

YoniBottsBumgina Wed 15-May-13 11:30:00

Try lying down with him in bed and feeding like that - often they can feed and doze at the same time.

You do need to be removing the build up of milk from your breasts somehow, if you can't get him to feed (it's ok if he's having less than usual as long as you're still offering him as much as he wants) then do hand express to get it out as you run much more risk of infection being engorged all the time, and a dip in supply too. I can't do links as I'm on my phone but go onto the website kellymom and look up hand expression on there.

YoniBottsBumgina Wed 15-May-13 11:35:16

Basically hand expression doesn't work like you'd expect, you can't just take a big handful of boon and squeeze/massage. The hot water will help in a shower. You want to take your thumb and forefinger and put them one above and one below your nipple, about 1-2cm away. Move your hand in towards your body and then gently squeeze the end of your boob in between thumb and forefinger, bringing them forwards away from your body, and repeat. I'm not sure if my explanation is helpful but you can google for pictures or videos. Good luck!

YoniBottsBumgina Wed 15-May-13 11:35:58

Boon = boob

YoniBottsBumgina Wed 15-May-13 11:38:33

Also I'm sure you know this but if he shows signs of being dehydrated you need to take him to a&e straight away. But being sleepy is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now