Talk

Advanced search

FF baby: constipated or just getting a more developed digestive system at 9 weeks??!

(4 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Tue 14-May-13 07:54:59

My 9w old DD was producing a poo with pretty much every feed up until last week.
Now she seems to be only producing one a day!!
I have been panicking and thinking she is constipated but am I perhaps right in thinking that maybe babies DO start to have less frequent poos at a couple of months old??
She does seem more windy than usual and is straining quite a bit sometimes, which isn't quite usual for her. She was struggling to take her feeds a couple of days ago which is why I thought constipation. But y'day she had all her feeds no problem.
I gave her a little water yday as I was worried about constipation and there was a pretty fast and very big reaction! But then no poo at all since then...
Should I assume she is OK and not give her water again and just see what her bowels do of their own accord? Or does it sound like it could be constipation?

ilovepowerhoop Tue 14-May-13 07:59:34

both mine ended up doing a poo every 2 days or so around that age so they dont have to go all the time or even every day. If it is still soft and not hard and dry then she is probably not constipated. One a day sounds fine.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 14-May-13 08:06:20

Thanks ilovepowerhoop!!
She did have a couple of days at the w/e when she was still going a few times a day but it was more firm, not dry exactly but a lot less soft (sorry for TMI at breakfast!!!) which is why I began to worry that it was constipation.
But as I say y'day it was normal sort of poo again, just only once and lots of it in one go!!! But I am not sure if she would have done that if I had not just given her an ounce of water...
Is it the drier consistency that may mean constipation, whereas if it is just a couple of days without a poo that is OK??

ilovepowerhoop Tue 14-May-13 08:13:31

its not the timing as much as the consistency that indicates constipation. Babycentre says this about constipation:

Constipation

Many babies turn bright red and push hard when they do a poo. This is normal.

Constipation, on the other hand, is when:

Your baby seems to have real difficulty in moving her bowels.
Her poos are small and dry, like rabbit droppings. Alternatively, they may be large and hard.
Your baby seems irritable, straining and crying when she does a poo.
Her tummy feels tight to the touch.
Her poos have streaks of blood in them. This can be caused by tiny cracks in the skin, called anal fissures, caused by passing hard poos.

www.babycentre.co.uk/a551926/your-babys-poo-whats-normal-and-whats-not#ixzz2TFUC6LoG

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now