Talk

Advanced search

Does my 10 month old need formula?

(7 Posts)
blue22 Mon 13-May-13 15:57:02

DD2 is bf - she doesn't take a bottle and has water in a sippy cup, though she's not great at it and it tends to drench her clothes, but sure she'll get there one day!!
But in 2 weeks time I have my first KIT day back at work and its a shift that runs 10 am till 10pm. She'll be 10 months old exactly.
DP will be looking after her and neither of us are sure what to do about milk.
Can she last that long without milk feeds?
She's a great eater and happily eats 3 meals a day plus snacks inc lots of dairy. Maybe formula in a sippy cup before bed?
Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

mistlethrush Mon 13-May-13 16:00:52

Can you express some so she can have that before bed in a sippy cup? At least it tastes/ smells 'right' ifykwim

blue22 Mon 13-May-13 16:03:10

I've never expressed so don't have any equipment and a bit reluctant to buy some at this late stage - think pumps cost a fortune.

ThePskettiIncident Mon 13-May-13 16:06:03

Look up hand expressing on kellymom. You should be able to express some for her that way without any equipment.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 13-May-13 22:13:01

Agree you might be able to hand express. Alternatively you could try formula or full at cows milk. I would get DH to do a few trial rubs first though. You might also need to hand express during the day you are away, the last thing you want is to get mastitis,

If you ring one of the bfing helplines a BFC should be able to talk you through hand expressing and leaving Lo for t day. Nif you don't have the numbers just google National Breastfeeding helpline smile

blue22 Tue 14-May-13 08:59:17

Thanks - so sipping full fat cows milk as a drink during the day is ok? I can probably express enough to get some for bed time but doubt I can get enough for 3 feeds. Maybe I'll try to get her to drop one before then. She's full of a cold at the moment so just want to feed on demand at the moment tho. Arrrrgh - I love bf but its a worry that first time you leave for any length of time smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 14-May-13 12:28:00

Sorry get DH to do trial runs not rubs although DH might prefer the rubs grin

Cows milk is fine as long as its not the main drink so if you can manage 2 feeds before work and one when you get home, she should be fine. Think you do need to try her with DH first though.

If you are thinking of dropping feeds, its advised to drop one a fortnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now