Talk

Advanced search

Dreamfeed advice please

(3 Posts)
BonaDea Sun 12-May-13 20:18:44

Ds is nearly 8 weeks old and ebf.

We have a pretty loose bed time routine going which seems to be working ok: cluster feeding from about 5.30/6, bath, massage then last feed upstairs in our bedroom before putting him down in his co-sleeper cot. Ds is getting to sleep at some point between 8.15-9 most nights depending on amount of settling needed.

He then sleeps through for his biggest chunk of time til around 1.30 or 2am. He'll then usually go down for another few hours until 4-ish. I go to bed at 10pm which means I have time to eat dinner, spend time with dh and relax a little.

Ideally I'd like to push the long chunk of sleep out a bit so that I can get a stretch of sleep without having to go to bed at 8 myself and thought a dream feed at 10 when I go to bed might work.

But, not really sure how to do this without completely waking him, unsettling him and then potentially disrupting his otherwise good quality sleep. Are there any particular tricks to it? Alternatively any other suggestions on extending the length of his sleep. Or should I just leave him be on the basis that actually he's doing quite well really?

I know he's still very small and I don't want to rush him or anything.

Thanks!

amyboo Sun 12-May-13 20:53:02

You essentially just lift him out of bed and feed him while he's still asleep. I did it with DS1 when he was 4 months old and it worked pretty well, but he was on bottles by then so I don't know if it's different when they're ebf. With DS1, I used to lift him out of bed in his sleeping bag. For the first week or sohe'd wake up a bit, and the first few times it was tough getting him back to sleep. But after a w days he barely used to even stir while he took the bottle. It doesn't work for everyone, but it worked for us. It might take a while for it to work though, so try and stick with it for a few days...

BonaDea Mon 13-May-13 17:15:06

Thanks Amy. It is waking him that worries me but I'll keep persevering as you suggest.

Any more thoughts from anyone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now