Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

steam sterilisers

(14 Posts)
MummyToToby Sun 21-May-06 11:17:01

pregnant first time mummy here and i was wondering do the bottles come out dry or not?

GDG Sun 21-May-06 11:18:09

When it first finishes they are wet and extremely hot - if you leave it to cool down before taking them out they are dry.

It doesn't matter either way though with regard to making up the feeds.

MummyToToby Sun 21-May-06 12:45:59

how long do they take to cool down?

velcrobott Sun 21-May-06 13:14:20

Are you planning to breastfeed or bottlefeed? If you are BF and plan to express you do not need to sterilise at all... just clean your bottles and teats well with hot soapy water.

MummyToToby Sun 21-May-06 17:14:10

no i am planning on bottle feeding, so i want to know how long the steam sterilisers take to cool down and for the bottles to dry in them.

Coolmama Mon 22-May-06 09:20:10

I would just leave the lid on until I needed the bottles - because it's only steam, it doesn't matter if the bottles are dry - makes no difference. They will cool very quickly - it's not like you need to leave them to stand for hours or something - even if you take them out straight away - by the time you have made up a feed, they will be good to go.

peaches27 Mon 22-May-06 21:19:36

I will time it for you tomorrow if its helpful, but its a bit like some dishwashers, if you open the door straight away some things are still wet, but if you wait half an hour they will prob be OK. I make up a days feeds all at once as once the steriliser has been opened they dont stay sterilised. For a new baby get the one that takes the most bottles. Most take 6 but if you could find one that takes 7 that would be great, cos for a newborn thats probably how many you will make up for a day.

There is a recommendation these days that you make up each feed freshly. I find that a bind. I make 6 up at once, cool them quickly, put them in the fridge, warm each one as needed. Any bottle feeding queries, just ask...

TLM2 Tue 23-May-06 11:33:13

Alternatively.. what I do is not add the milk but I make the bottles up with 2/3 the amount of colled bolied water and put them in the fridge. When you need a bottle then just add boiled water to get the temperature right and the milk then. Personally I think that is safer since even though the milk is in the fridge it's better fresh to ve safe. It's very quick and it means you don;t have to warm the bottle

TLM2 Tue 23-May-06 11:33:29

Alternatively.. what I do is not add the milk but I make the bottles up with 2/3 the amount of colled bolied water and put them in the fridge. When you need a bottle then just add boiled water to get the temperature right and the milk then. Personally I think that is safer since even though the milk is in the fridge it's better fresh to ve safe. It's very quick and it means you don't have to warm the bottle

TLM2 Tue 23-May-06 11:33:32

Alternatively.. what I do is not add the milk but I make the bottles up with 2/3 the amount of colled bolied water and put them in the fridge. When you need a bottle then just add boiled water to get the temperature right and the milk then. Personally I think that is safer since even though the milk is in the fridge it's better fresh to ve safe. It's very quick and it means you don't have to warm the bottle

TLM2 Tue 23-May-06 11:34:35

Alternatively.. what I do is not add the milk but I make the bottles up with 2/3 the amount of cooled bolied water and put them in the fridge. When you need a bottle then just add boiled water to get the temperature right and the milk then. Personally I think that is safer since even though the milk is in the fridge it's better fresh. It's very quick and it means you don't have to warm the bottle because you already know how much hot water to add.

MummyToToby Tue 23-May-06 17:40:42

oh yes i know you can still use them wet, but some people have warned me when steam sterilisers first finish the cycle they are extremely hot and it is easy to hurt yourself - that's why i wanted to know how long roughly you have to wait until you can open them and get the bottles out. maybe that was just the steriliser they had though.

EmmaKB Tue 23-May-06 18:40:41

I got the mothercare one which has lights on the front to show you the stage it is at. Sterilising, cooling down and ready. Even after the cooling cycle they are still, hot but not enough to burn you. With the lid on the bottles stay sterile for 3 hours. After the 3 hours is up the green ready light goes out.

peaches27 Wed 24-May-06 16:45:15

Its about half an hour I think, but just touch the top you will be able to tell.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: