Talk

Advanced search

Teething baby hardly feeding - what can I do?

(3 Posts)
minipie Sat 11-May-13 21:40:23

DD is 6.5 months and for the past few days has clearly been suffering with teething pains (though no teeth yet through or even nearly through, depressingly)

now she is off her milk (BF) which is very unusual for her. if really hungry, she will feed for a minute or so, enough to get let down pls a few good gulps, then she'll just cry at me and push away from my boob if I try to get her to feed any more sad. I know she's getting less as my boobs feel much fuller after a feed than usual.

I've tried offering more often but if she's not really hungry she won't feed at all (a few sucks, not enough to get let down).

can anyone answer these questions please:

how long will this last - is it usually just a few days?

do I need to express to keep up supply? (really hope not, I don't know when I would have the time...)

should I give her formula top ups (assuming she finds bottles less painful)? - at the moment she has one FF a day so I know she will take a bottle.

what can I do to help with the pain before feeds? I am giving calpol at night when she's really upset but obviously can't keep her dosed up on it all day every day. teething gel doesn't seem to help her much and I've heard it can make it hard to bf anyway? are the granules better for this?

I have also started weaning her a couple of weeks ago (purees) and she is eating absolutely loads - I suspect she's filling up on solids instead of milk, even though I am giving solids within an hour after a bf. I know this isn't ideal but is it ok for the short term while the teething pain lasts? or should I cut back the solids?

thank you!

Aldobaggins Sat 11-May-13 21:45:43

she is upset because her mouth is sore, but it's also natural that she would be taking less from you because of the weaning. I wouldn't bother with the expressing. If she's happy to eat solids, she'll be feeding less and less. Try giving her something cold and hardish to bite on - like a thick piece of chilled carrot, but make sure she can't bite a bit off and choke on it.

minipie Sun 12-May-13 16:26:18

thanks! sorry to have posted and run. I will try the carrot, thank you. she had a good feed during the night so maybe she will make up for it at night (she's waking anyway due to the teething, poor mite)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now