Talk

Advanced search

9 and a half month old won't bf, what do I do?!

(6 Posts)
NuzzleandScratch Fri 10-May-13 23:07:24

Taken dd2 into her room as usual after her bath this evening, & she's completely refused to breastfeed! She immediately started crying when I brought her close to me. She'd been completely happy prior to this, & has napped and eaten well today. She has a very small amount of formula one or two days a week, when I'm at work, just a mid afternoon feed, no more than 100ml, and otherwise feeds first thing, mid afternoon & evening. Sometimes she'll feed in the night too, but usually just once. Tonight, I even offered formula in desperation, but she didn't want that either. She must be due to get her top front teeth soon, so I gave her Calpol & Bonjela just in case. But she still won't feed or settle. She's been sitting on my or dh's lap all evening, & is now on my bed wide awake. What do I do with her?! Is this called a nursing strike? Will she feed in the morning? What will happen to my boobs if she keeps refusing?! I've just packed away my pump, but I think it's broken anyway, & I hardly used it.

Sorry for lack of paragraphs, I'm upset & it's late. She's never done this before, & neither did dd1.

KatAndKit Fri 10-May-13 23:20:52

I'd get your DH to offer a bottle to see if she will settle. then co sleep with her close to your breast and keep offering when she wakes. In the morning take a nice bath together. Lots of skin to skin. Offering but no pressure. I had a similar thing at about 10 months and it was over in a day thankfully. I think he was just a bit out of sorts.

Snazzynewyear Fri 10-May-13 23:25:30

Don't panic yet. She might just be a bit off in some way. Is she at all sleepy yet? Can your DH rock her/walk her around or something? Even take her out in the car (always worked for me)?

NuzzleandScratch Fri 10-May-13 23:46:05

Thanks very much for the replies. She nodded off on my shoulder just after I posted, so I managed to put her into the cot, & fingers crossed, she seems to have stayed asleep. Good to hear it resolved itself quickly KatandKit. Dh did try giving her a bottle earlier this evening, but her reaction was the same as for me. Snazzy, we did resort to the car once or twice with dd1! She got her two bottom teeth at 6 months, so she must be due for some more teeth soon, & my mum reckons she was chomping on her fingers the other day, so maybe that's it. I'm just worried she must be hungry now! Oh well, best get some sleep before she wakes again!

FrogInABog Fri 10-May-13 23:46:28

try rocking her to sleep, then putting her on to feed while asleep, should help keep you from getting engorged. I'm sure she'll be back to normal tomorrow. smile

NuzzleandScratch Sat 11-May-13 10:32:16

Thanks Frog, she was already in the cot when I read your reply! Just to update, she woke at her usual 6.45, & initially cried again when I tried to feed her, but just when I was about to panic, she latched on & gulped milk down for 10 minutes! She didn't want the other side, but I expect she'd already had enough! I then managed to get her back to sleep for a couple of hrs, & she's just had her bfast & eaten it all!

I'm sure this is significant, when I went in to get her this morning, she'd rolled onto her tummy (in the Grobag), the first time she's done that, so maybe that's connected to the nursing strike?

Anyway, really hoping she'll feed as normal today. This has thrown me, she always feeds well before bed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now