Talk

Advanced search

Switching from bf to bottles at 8.5. mo.

(9 Posts)
woopsidaisy Fri 10-May-13 22:42:01

Hi.
I am attempting to wean DS3 off the boob. Expressed milk and gave via sippy cup last night. But he only had 3/4 bf today, and not a lot to eat. So he will be hungry overnight?
He only takes sips from the cup, how can I get him up drink larger quantities of the breast milk not via the boob!
Will try formula tomorrow. But he won't take a bottle. Too late to keep trying?
Thanks.

Mandy21 Fri 10-May-13 23:50:45

No, we kept trying about that stage. Had twins who refused point blank for days on end - tried various combiinations of bottle / teats etc, they eventually took a bottle but it probably took a good month before they'd readily accept it.

cooper44 Fri 10-May-13 23:52:58

I would also love any ideas on this. Am at my wits end with 7 month old EBF baby who will not take anything from a bottle. Is a sippy cup easier at this stage? Have tried different times of the day with breastmilk and formula but he seems to think the bottle is just for chewing/playing.

thisonehasalittlecar Sat 11-May-13 00:09:36

I think a sippy cup or bottle with a hard spout (I used to have an advent one that held about 300 ml) may be easier than a bottle at this point. 3/4 bfs sounds fine for a baby of this age; that's about what my 8.5 month old dd is having at the moment. Are you giving water in the sippy cup at meals as well? The more he uses it, hopefully, the quicker he'll get the hang of it.

McBaby Sat 11-May-13 09:18:38

I have a 9mo bottle refuser but we have had my h success with a doody cup age will drink 5oz out of it with little spillage in about 5mins. I have given up on the bottle idea as it felt like too much of a fight if I then have to wean her off at 12 months. I started with water in the doidy to get her used to sipping or gulping it down.

3-4 breast feeds a day is what we do in a 24 hour period without and additional milk.

Katla Sat 11-May-13 20:49:45

Hi, my DD was a bottle refuser - tried when she was 3 or 4 months old with no success and gave up buying different bottles so ended up just BF. Fast forward to her 5 months or so and started giving some EBM via a sippy cup - she just took tiny sips to begin with but got the idea of it.

Now she is 6 months and I'm trying to wean her off BF as I'm going back to work so she needs to take milk another way. She will now take formula or water via a sippy cup and we also give some feeds in a bottle. Tommee Tippee CTN ones were the kind she accepted.

So I would just keep trying - I think my DD likes how the fluid comes out much faster via bottles or cups - she gets quite frustrated at my slow flow boobs now (I'm still feeding her morning and evening feeds and planning to keep going with those).

Hope you didn't have a sleepless night on Friday!

nutella81 Sat 11-May-13 22:05:47

I had trouble with my DD at 8 months (when she had taken the bottle previously on the odd occasion). What I did was start on breast then after a min or two, took her off and quickly put a bottle in her mouth and as she was just sucking a few seconds before, she seemed to get it. Also, it's worth trying different bottles/teats, we've found MAM ones best x

woopsidaisy Sun 12-May-13 00:01:39

Thanks for the replies!
Last night was the best sleep he ever had, although I did give a bf at 11 asZi felt he was really hungry. Bar that he slept really well-usually wakes every 45 mins! I just gave him the sippy cup, he took a sip or two and that was it. Popped him into bed.
But tonight is disastrous already! He has eaten hardly anything all day- maybe teething again. Cheeks are so red so do e thought he was dating jam today. grin
He would not take the cup and kept waking every half hour or so. UHF and he did 2 hours. Am bf again now.
I gave him a bottle with some juice today. I will just keep plugging away. I find it so hard to know what to do!

mikkii Sun 12-May-13 00:05:40

DD1 went for the mam bottles too, after being a refuser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now