Talk

Advanced search

HELP! my 3 week old has been given some cows milk

(8 Posts)
lisa08031982 Fri 10-May-13 19:30:41

my dad has given my 3 week old son about and ounce of cows milk while i was bath my 3 year year old thinking he was doing me a favor accidently gave him the wrong bottle i stopped him as soon as i realised, he seems fine hes had his proper milk and has been awake and coo-ing so doesnt seem to have affected him im just really worried incase anything happens does anyone know anything about this? will every thing be ok or do i need to get him checked out?

TreeLuLa Fri 10-May-13 19:31:48

I am sure he will be fine!

You might get a runny nappy but I expect that will be all. Formula is based on cow's milk.

rubyslippers Fri 10-May-13 19:32:51

as a PP has said formula is made from cows milk

it's unlikely to have done any harm

woopsidaisy Fri 10-May-13 19:33:31

Not sure. But keen to see the responses.
My mum said she got up early every morning and boiled milk for us to drink during the day. So I guess it can't be too dangerous?
I'm sure your LO will be fine.

ChippingInLovesSunshine Fri 10-May-13 19:34:19

As the others have said - he might have a sore/upset tummy, but he will be fine.

SofaKing Fri 10-May-13 19:37:58

Some ladies looking after my nephew for ten minutes during my bil's christening gave him cows milk when he was 6 weeks, three ounces in an unsterilised bottle!

My dsis was very upset, they had offered to take him out of the hall as he was crying, and she had no idea they were going to do that.

He is fine and is now 20 and at uni so no harm done.

Hope you are OK though, my sister was so upset I think she was worse off than dnephew afterwards!

Wingdingdong Fri 10-May-13 19:50:36

I wouldn't worry, it's only an ounce and a one-off. Agree with PPs that you may get a dodgy nappy but nothing long-lasting.

Best summary of reasons why not to give below. As you can see, it's more of a long-term issue - you're not going to be damaging major organs with a one-off accidental bottle, if that's what you're worried about.:

Cow's milk is not recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics for children under 1 year old. Infants fed whole cow's milk don't get enough vitamin E, iron, and essential fatty acids. They also get too much protein, sodium, and potassium. These levels may be too high for the infant's system to handle. Also, whole cow's milk protein and fat are more difficult for an infant to digest and absorb.

lisa08031982 Fri 10-May-13 19:50:54

thankyou all for you responses its put my mind at rest hes sleeping soundly atm so i guess all is well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now