Talk

Advanced search

Feeling upset at DD's distress at my drop in supply, wondering if it's kinder to wean?

(4 Posts)
fhdl34 Fri 10-May-13 18:02:59

I posted yesterday about my drop in supply and it affecting my dd feeding to sleep the past few nights. Well today she has been trying to feed a few times but is getting quite distressed that there's not as much milk as she wants. She asks for milkies, I let her nurse, she comes off after a few minutes and then cries quite a bit saying milkies, milkies. I offer the other side and she'll repeat the same again. She really is very distressed about it and I'm now wondering if it would be kinder to say no straight off? I'd always planned to self wean and she's only 16 months and clearly still very attached but I'm still only 9 weeks pregnant so it'll be a while yet before colustrum comes in. Dry nursing does not seem to be cutting it for her.
Has anyone had any experience of this? I hate that this is distressing her so much, she's normally such a happy child and always had a smile for milkies but even when she asked today, she cried a little before she went on sad

exoticfruits Sat 11-May-13 06:44:15

It would seem an obvious time to wean.

Midori1999 Sat 11-May-13 07:31:05

My toddler has seemed content to just dry nurse, this must be difficult, especially as she is still quite young so you can explain things to her. Could you try giving her another drink in a cup before you nurse her to sleep? Cows milk if she has that or water? It might be that she's thirsty, so if that's the case that would maybe help?

fhdl34 Sat 11-May-13 08:26:05

Thank you for responding, she drank a lot yesterday for other sources, I had milk in a cup on hand all day and water.
Last night was a lot better. After 4 nights of her trying to feed to sleep and getting upset when she couldn't, last night she fed on both sides, gave me a little nibble but came off herself before I could de-latch her and was content to let me rock and sing to her. There were no tears and for the first time in a few days, she seemed content with what she got. We'll see how we go today, I didn't offer her yesterday and tried to distract her when a feed hadn't gone the way she wanted, I think today I won't offer again but will let her try if she wants to and have milk and water on hand as you say.
It felt like last night was turning a corner, I really hope it was. I don't want to force her into stopping when she clearly doesn't want to as that would also cause distress, and the times when I do say no when it isn't convenient, it upsets her. I really hope last night was a corner, thanks for the suggestion of extra drinks around, pregnancy brain makes me forget the obvious smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now