Talk

Advanced search

Please can I have some advise, thank you

(3 Posts)
Tooodlepip Fri 10-May-13 09:43:30

Hi

I just wanted to ask some opinions please, I appreciate any replies in advance.

I have a happy ebf 8 month old baby boy, I weaned him onto food at 6 months and he really loves his food and is up to 3 meals a day and really loves his food.

I still feed on demand, but he has dropped a lot of day time feeds, and will have his normal 3-4 feeds a night, thats after his bed time feed.

anyway I am going through some things in my personnel life and I was thinking that maybe I should wean him onto a bottle?? I am worried that he isn't drinking enough milk so I want him to get the most vitamins he can from the milk he does get and secondly I worry that if I am stressed a bit it might affect the quality of my milk.

Also I don't have support so I a doing this to be able to hand him to some one for me to have a break, I would be lucky to squeeze a half an hour out of my mum if even that.

I am a sahm now on my own, I may need to start looking for work as soon as I can, so I was thinking if he was already on the bottle it might make it easier on me.

On the other hand the chances of me getting work are really slim and I was thinking maybe don't rock the boat and just leave him for now and see where I am at when he is a year old?

Just in case this is relevant he is still on ranitidine for silent reflux and has mild eczema

Thank you

rubyslippers Fri 10-May-13 09:48:11

Stress doesn't affect milk supply

Your milk provides all the vitamins and nutrients your child needs

Milk changes composition over time so it is the perfect food tailor made for your baby

I went back to work full time when my bottle refusing, Breastfeeding DD was 8.5 months

She had a feed before I went to work, when I came home, before bed and then a dream feed

No milk in the day - except in cereal etc

At 8.5 months your child could go a few hours without a feed in the day with meals/snacks etc

I think it sounds like you are doing an amazing job and I would leave things

If it would help to speak to your GP etc if you are feign stresses they may be able to offer support??

noblegiraffe Fri 10-May-13 10:08:40

The current NHS recommendation is that bfed babies over 6 months are given a vitamin D supplement (this is already in formula). If you give a multivitamin like Abidec then that's one less thing to worry about.

I think I'd continue bfing if I were you, baby will drop daytime feeds so you can get a break that way. If you do get work and want to give formula, I'd give it in a sippy cup rather than a bottle - starting to give a bottle is a hassle and they should be phased out at a year old anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now