Talk

Advanced search

Slow Weight Gain 4 month old ebf baby

(5 Posts)
SpringFlowers Wed 08-May-13 14:28:36

I'm sure this has been done already but I need some advice please...my baby is nearly four months old and I am breastfeeding. He was born just below the 75th centile and today when he was weighed has continued to gain weight but not quickly enough. He is now just above the 25th. I feed him on demand and always offer both sides although he usually only feeds on one side. He tends to feed every 2-3 hours in the day and a couple of times overnight. What can I do to increase his weight gain without introducing formula? I'm not intending to start weaning until he is 6 months. Any ideas would be gratefully received...

chocoluvva Wed 08-May-13 15:18:10

This happened to me too. DS was on the 50th centile at birth and steadily dropped down the chart.

I think weight at birth is not a reliable indication of how big/heavy the baby is going to be as a child and adult. My DS (14) is really skinny now but tall. I'm skinny too, so I assume he's just meant to be light.

I've heard of this lots of times. It sounds as if your baby is doing fine. If he's otherwise healthy I don't think you need to worry.

tiktok Wed 08-May-13 17:08:35

Springflowers, if all we are looking at is the baby's weight, then a drop through two centile spaces (eg from 75th to 25th) is within normal limits.

If we accept that is normal, and the baby is healthy and developing well, then there is not a problem, and if there is not a problem, then nothing needs to be done 'about' it smile

Check with your HV, but it does not read as if there is a concern here smile

SpringFlowers Thu 09-May-13 13:38:04

Thank you for your thoughts. My baby is lovely in every way and developing normally. He is bright and interested and babbling. The health visitor thought there wasn't anything to worry about but that I should go to my gp anyway. I'm inclined not to...

chocoluvva Thu 09-May-13 14:45:21

I'm so glad you have confidence in your own judgement.

(What does the HV think a GP would actually do anyway? confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now