Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone there: how do I unblock a duct: boob exploding

(11 Posts)
SquidgersMummy Tue 07-May-13 13:11:31

Hi - 9mth old dd - ebf - never any probs - did notice over weekend that right boob looking bigger so consciously tried to empty both to increase left supply - right boob def got blocked duct: section hard and feels like will explode and not emptying : tried massaging a bit whilst feeding but not doing anything - what do I do??

Many thanks xx

Kubalai Tue 07-May-13 13:15:06

Massage downwards towards nipple, try doing while feeding, or get in shower and use warm water, some people use a wide-toothed comb or simulate that effect with their fingers. You can try hand expression, feeding in different positions, even on all fours over the baby to get things moving. LLL describe a technique of massaging the breast "like a bag of marbles" which has worked for me in the past.

lightrain Tue 07-May-13 13:15:15

In the shower, as hot as you can stand, water over your breast and massage from outside towards the nipple. You can also (sounds weird but works) use a wide tooth comb in the shower, combing your breast from outside to nipple where the blocked duct is.

Hope you manage to clear it.

lightrain Tue 07-May-13 13:15:46

Ha, x post Kubalai!

Tidypidy Tue 07-May-13 13:15:48

try expressing on that side by hand or pump. or have a warm bath, lean forwards and massage your boob in the water, it should help you to express the built up milk. If you feel unwell with it then see Dr as you may have mastitis and need antibiotics. You can take paracetamol and ibuprofen in meantime to reduce swelling and pain.

SquidgersMummy Tue 07-May-13 13:18:23

Thanks all - Jesus it hurts - off to run the bath xx

SquidgersMummy Tue 07-May-13 13:59:59

Teething 9mth old who hasn't had a sleep all day and is in no mood for a bath or playing on her own confused....maybe I'll just pump away on the sofa with gritted teeth and a grizzly girl on my lap: of all the days for a blocked duct!! X

BedHog Tue 07-May-13 14:07:28

If you can't get to the bathroom, fill a disposable nappy with very warm water and put it over your breast for a few minutes. Then either feed DD or pump, massaging at the same time. Worked for me on three painful occasions!

NotTreadingGrapes Tue 07-May-13 14:09:24

I actually unblocked mine with a needle.

It was fab, like a balloon deflating. I put the needle into the white spot which had formed on the end of the nipple.

Then fed and fed and fed some more.

Hope you feel better soon.

freelancegirl Tue 07-May-13 14:13:13

I did the needle thing too Grapes! Never imagined I'd be lancing my own nipple with a hot needle but needs must grin Didnt hurt at all and was so much of a relief afterwards, pain of blocked duct went much more manageable quickly after that.

Kubalai Tue 07-May-13 15:17:34

Great minds Lightrain grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now