Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ebf won't take bottle - Dad's funeral in a week

(10 Posts)
Doingakatereddy Tue 07-May-13 12:38:51

Sorry - sure this has been asked before.

My dads funeral is in a week & I will be needed for at least 2-3 hours. I normally feed lying down, she will feed seated but it's messy & we both get grumpy.

DD (currently 5 weeks) is ebf, we've tried bottles but she fusses & takes max 2oz.

I need some advise on how to introduce bottles, I'll buy anything, just like to be there for my family without causing drama.

McBaby Tue 07-May-13 12:59:45

Have a look on Kellymom website but I thought EBF babies will only take about 3oz max but this varies depending on weight and how often they feed in a day.

Patchouli Tue 07-May-13 13:03:02

It's going to be worth working on feeding while sitting up for getting out and about and day to day life generally.
Might be easier than working on the bottles in the time.

rubyslippers Tue 07-May-13 13:03:58

am sorry for your loss sad

take her with? a sling etc would be a good compromise?

i don't think anyone could have an issue with you bringing such a young child with you and save you the stress of bottles etc at what is a difficult time

Meringue33 Tue 07-May-13 13:07:00

Is sitting up feeding any easier with pillows? Could you take pillows with you and feed her in the car outside?

Failing that our LO refused bottles at first but does now take the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles which are supposed to be more like boobs.

Northumberlandlass Tue 07-May-13 13:08:11

Hi Doing - sorry to hear about your Dad.

I agree with Patchouli, you are really limiting what you can do by only feeding lying down. Do you have access to a breast feeding group ?

My FIL died when DS was 6 weeks old & he was ebf, I left DS with my parents for the service, went back to their house after the service to feed him & then my folks just called me if I was needed.

I wouldn't want to go onto bottles for just this reason, I would try & get some advice re feeding upright first.

Doingakatereddy Tue 07-May-13 19:36:01

Thank you for your advice, been working on feeding seated this afternoon & will look into Kellymom figures on ounces.

Just hard as we've been in our little bubble feeding at home with lots of cuddles, never dawned on me she'd refuse bottles.

Northumberlandlass Wed 08-May-13 08:31:43

I took lots of advice from groups doing - I couldn't feed DS in the 'traditional' hold and ended up holding his head to my breast but his body going under my arm (not sure I've explained that well). You really don't need to put her on bottles just for this.

Startail Wed 08-May-13 08:41:32

Sorry for your loss.

Honestly you need to try BF sitting up, it's a skill you will need.

I've BF DD1 in the back of a funeral it can be done. Easy I accept if you are friend rather than family and can lurk at the back. Also DH had seen the widow BFing her DCs so I knew she wouldn't mind.

5madthings Wed 08-May-13 08:43:29

I agree work on the feeding sittinging up and take her with you.

I took ds2 to my grandmas funeral when he was about seven wks old. We had to travel amd stay overnight etc so leaving him wasnt an.option.

Re feeding lying down/sitting up my ds1 was like this for a while and ds2 its a pita.

Def get to a bfeeding group or see if a counsellor can come to.you at home and show you some positions.

Rugby hold may be good.

Is it that baby doesnt like to feed with you sitting up or are you just not confident?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now