Talk

Advanced search

Tempted to stop BF but worried about faffiness of formula

(3 Posts)
NichyNoo Tue 07-May-13 07:44:09

DS2 is almost 5 months old and EBF. He is a very big baby (weighs 18lbs) and feeds every 3 hours. He feeds at least twice a night (whereas BF DS1 was only waking once a night at this stage). However the past two days he is crying lots and wants to feed every 2 or 2.5 hours, including at night. I am shattered. Toddler DS1 doesn't nap and is very demanding.

I want to drink more than 1 glass of wine, I want to wear nice clothes and not my repertoire of 5 old stretchy tops that I can wrestle a boob out of, I want to wear a proper fitted, underwired bra, I want to sleep.

But I'm worried about formula feeding over the summer. DS1 was a winter baby so when he went onto formula I made up bottles in advance (at 70 degrees etc.) and stored in fridge or could take out with me. However in the summer on a long day out how do I use formula? Can't take a flask of hot water as already overloaded with 2 kids, change of clothes, changing bag. Don't want to make in advance in the hot weather as too difficult to keep cool. Pre-made cartons are too expensive. Feel trapped.

Plus I read Politics of Breastfeeding and feel guilty about wanting to stop but I just need a break from caring from baby 24/7 and formula will let other people help out for more than a 3 hour stretch between feeds.

Are pre-made cartons the only answer?

50shadesofbrown Tue 07-May-13 07:56:40

I feel for you. I felt stuck in similar situation. DD solved it by biting & hanging on like grin death when teeth came through, so I stopped. If anyone challenged me I just told them she drew blood. (she did, and left teeth marks.)
Anyway, your options when going out are:
carton formula;
To make it up & chill it right down before you go, put it in a pre-chilled bottle bag, this is ok for an hour or two if you have a healthy baby, but no good for all day;
Take a flask & powder & make it up when you need it.

It is only for a few months. My DD turns 1 today & it's a lot easier - when we're out & she needs a drink she has water or we buy fresh milk & just put it in a bottle for her.

Forgetfulmog Tue 07-May-13 08:12:14

OP it's entirely up to you how you feed your child, but it does sound like DS is going through a growth spurt so this feeding frenzy won't last forever.

I do understand how you feel, dd was going through a phase of feeding every 1.5-2 hrs day & night so I totally get it (although I appreciate I don't have a toddler), but she is now 2-3 hrs & sometimes longer at night (8 mo).

If you want to give up bf, then don't feel guilty about it, it's your choice smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now