Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can babies bite a nipple off

(7 Posts)
FrogInABog Mon 06-May-13 11:47:41

My DD has random days when she bites, but is fine the rest of the time so I want to carry on feeding if possible.
She's just starting to get her first tooth, and i was just wondering if anyone's heard of any actual harm such as biting the nipple off happening? Or is it safe enough to feed if you can put up with the occasional pain?

AndMiffyWentToSleep Mon 06-May-13 13:23:42

I've experienced the pain of biting (just phases of it rather than constant biting forever more, thank goodness) but not harm. Apparently thry can harm though - but there are techniques you can use to minimuse the risk of biting. Kellymom has the answers:

kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/

woopsidaisy Mon 06-May-13 21:59:39

I don't know, but DS3 seems to be trying to see if he can. confused

BabsAndTheRu Mon 06-May-13 22:05:56

I thought DS1 had bitten mine off once, so painful and blood everywhere, had to get DP to look as sure it was off, but just a deep bite. Couldn't get him to stop biting so had to move onto formula at 10 months.

VictoriaPlum01 Mon 06-May-13 22:06:16

Technically it might be possible, but I'm sure you'd have found a way of wrenching their jaws from your nipple before it actually got that far!

VictoriaPlum01 Mon 06-May-13 22:07:21

Babs - ouch! OK, perhaps I was wrong!

BabsAndTheRu Mon 06-May-13 22:19:50

Ouch wasn't the word I used at the time, it was so quick as well, feeding away nicely then bite, little razor sharp teeth. Gives me shivers just thinking about it. Feeding DD 9 months at the moment, no teeth yet but they are on there way, formula in the cupboard ready just in case. DS2 used to bite as well, couldn't get him to stop either, tried all sorts of techniques but nothing worked. Maybe DD will be different, fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now