Talk

Advanced search

Thrush?

(4 Posts)
SucksFake Mon 06-May-13 11:27:29

I'm bf DC4, who is 10mo. He is currently having 3 feeds per day. Have breastfed his older siblings up until they turned one, and have never had thrush.

For the last 4/5 days, it has been really painful to feed. There have been a small amount of blood in the milk I have expressed. The pain lasts throughout the feed. DS has got his first tooth (late compared to the others!) and I thought perhaps he wasn't covering his tooth with his tongue. So have been using Lansinoh (and curling my toes every time he latches on shock!).

Starting now to think it's not from the tooth though. My nipples are red (both sides), cracked and really tender. The redness is around the whole nipple area (rather than just the bottom if it was because of the teeth). The skin has also been peeling a bit. Nipple would also be white after a feed, but I have had that type of Raynaud phenomenon before.

DS's tongue looks white, but it's hard to say if that's milk/porridge! Otherwise, he seems pretty symptom free. I think I could reduce him to 2 bfs per day but am determined to keep feeding until he is 1, but I am dreading the pain that comes with each feed.

Any advice? Or similar experiences?

Thanks in advance!

chocoluvva Mon 06-May-13 15:26:11

Eczema?

(Bumping for you, really - but I remember my SIL wondering whether her sore nipples were caused by eczema or thrush).

SucksFake Mon 06-May-13 21:01:59

Thanks chocoluvva.

Funny enough, I do have eczema, but usually only on my hands grin.

Got a good look into DSs mouth and unfortunately he has some plaques. So the OOH GP has prescribed us both meds. Fingers crossed it'll ease soon, and that DS remains unfazed by his mouth.

Have had mastitis in the past (one bout necessitating a hospital admission), and the pain of this definitely on a par.

chocoluvva Mon 06-May-13 21:55:12

Oh poor you. The meds should shift the thrush pretty quickly.

You should try to avoid sugar and refined carbs.

Caprylic acid is safe to take while BFing. There is caprylic acid in breastmilk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now