Talk

Advanced search

11 days in and I am getting sore!

(15 Posts)
CollectorofCookbooks Mon 06-May-13 08:52:40

Had my twins at 33+2 a week and a half ago and they are doing well in SCBU. I have been double expressing since the day they were born and it's going well overall.

They are being tube fed at present although we have had many goes at breast feeding - one more successfully than the other! I'm confident we'll get there in time. We need to crack it for them to come home smile

But in the past 12 hours I've noticed 3 things:

. One nipple has developed what I'd call a blister on the underside - it's sore - I've been slathering it in Lansinoh, is this the right thing to do?

. One side is producing half that of the other, is this usual? Even though I'm giving it a couple of extra minutes on the pump once I've taken the other side off

. Once I've finished expressing, after about five minutes the tips of my breasts (not my nipples) go all hot and tingly for a while. Is this normal? I'm on antibiotics for an infection, could this be the start of thrush or am I readin too much into it?

Thank you so much if you've got this far!

glorious Mon 06-May-13 09:00:37

I don't know the answer to your second two questions so mostly bumping for you so someone more knowledgeable has a better chance of seeing it.

But on the blister, it could be from rubbing against the pump. Make sure you get your nipple central and that it gets sucked straight. It's totally different to the position you want for breastfeeding. Nobody told me this at first smile

And congratulations! thanks

McBaby Mon 06-May-13 09:17:08

Sounds like the pump is rubbing nipple need stop be central, the flange may be too small have a look on medala website they have a guide on finding the correct size.

I also was advised to lubricate the flange using Vaseline it really stops the friction blister.

The pain could from the damage or from thrush. I found if I used daktarin for a day or so of it was thrush the burning really subsided.

I have always had one side that produces way more milk when expressing than the other no idea why.

CollectorofCookbooks Mon 06-May-13 10:45:53

Daktarin as in the athletes foot stuff?! Is that safe? Crikey - I'll stock up!

Thanks for the tip on nipple position and Vaseline, I'll try that, and if no joy check the sizing, they feel about right though.

Many thanks

CollectorofCookbooks Mon 06-May-13 21:30:10

Great tips on the Vaseline and the positioning, thank you.

Anyone any idea on the burning sensation though?

McBaby Mon 06-May-13 21:41:09

Have a look at the breast feeding network leaflet on thrush it tells you about the symptoms and treatment but yes it really burns!

Theyoniwayisnorthwards Mon 06-May-13 21:41:54

The hot tingly sensation sounds like let down to me. Could it be your milk flowing in after you finish pumping? (I'm no expert!)

WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 06-May-13 21:47:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CollectorofCookbooks Mon 06-May-13 22:43:49

Crikey, that came on quick! Will speak to the girls Doctor tomorrow and see if they can sort something (am being seen by doctors at the hospital at present due to being there so much)

Yes, I have a hospital grade pump, am looking at photos and hand pumping first. I will check out the BFN and make that call to the local LLL.

Thank you - for the advice and the congrats!

DoingTheSwanThing Mon 06-May-13 22:59:28

I find that having the suction too high can leave me a bit sore after pumping. You could try starting off at usual level and turning it down a little - I find this doesn't really decrease volumes and only takes a little longer.
Congratulations on your babies, my twins are 9m today (and still fully BF), its an amazing journey, enjoy grin

lotsofcheese Tue 07-May-13 07:54:31

Just wanted to say that I've expressed for 2 separate early babies & always get more from one side than another.

Good luck with BF & getting your twins home.

CollectorofCookbooks Tue 07-May-13 19:12:24

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Been checked by midwife and it's not thrush?! But it seems to be easing off a little. And the Vaseline trick is definitely working.

glorious Wed 08-May-13 07:42:30

Glad it's improving smile

WouldBeHarrietVane Wed 08-May-13 07:48:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BabsAndTheRu Wed 08-May-13 07:58:24

God your doing great, feed all three of mine but could never express. Always had more milk from the right breast. All the advice you have been given here is spot on, I also rubbed breast milk on my nipples when they were painful. Good luck and hope you get home soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now