Talk

Advanced search

Making formula in the USA

(4 Posts)
Sparklesandglitter Sun 05-May-13 21:51:45

Does anybody know, out of interest, why American guidelines and tv shows say to make formula with cold water and not to sterilise bottles? Shows like teen mom (I know) show bottles being made with cold water (like evian), any ideas why the guidelines are so different to the uk? Just wondering really after reading another thread about preparing formula safely smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 05-May-13 21:54:20

No idea. I always thought you had to make them with hot water to kill the bacteria in the formula and that mineral water was a big no-no. Will watch with interest...

tethersend Sun 05-May-13 21:59:43

Some countries feel that the risk to babies of being burned with milk that's improperly cooled is greater than the risk of bacterial infections from unsterile powder.

I think.

Does anyone have any statistics to back up or refute that?

stargirl1701 Sun 05-May-13 22:00:54

I think I know the answer to the sterilising part of your question. I believe US dishwashers run at a much higher temperature than UK dishwashers (not as energy efficient/Eco friendly) so the bottles are sterilised just in the dishwasher with the other dishes.

I'm sure there has been at least one death from bacteria in formula in the US. I think I read that NZ follow the US guidance as they feel the risk of scalding is higher than the bacterial risk in formula.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now