Talk

Advanced search

Extreme pain when bf'ing with shields

(3 Posts)
chellesbelles Sun 05-May-13 20:10:22

Please help. Ds is 7wks old and ebf. I have to use nipple shields otherwise he can't latch on. I had to do the same with ds1. I am now getting the most excruciating pain whenever I feed him, my nipple is burning and it feels like he is literally sucking my nipple through the holes.
It doesn't hurt when I express.
Please please help, I am in tears when feeding and desperately don't want to stop but I don't know what else to do.

quoteunquote Sun 05-May-13 20:19:33

Oh, poor you , I had this with my first,

we(baby and I ) did sort it out in the end, it basically came down to getting him to latch properly, as with the shields my nipples were not toughing up,

I got naked from waist up, got into bed used pillows, and did a lot of squishing nipples between two fingers, and then got him a good position, and manoeuvred him onto it, but only when his mouth was fully open, no nibbles on the end,

It will get better, it does take some babies a while.

good luck.

Starry2012 Sun 05-May-13 20:43:51

This happened me also. I used shields for the first 10 weeks to get baby latched but always suffered with extreme pain from my nipples being dragged through the holes. I got her weaned off the shields at about 10 weeks by starting feeds with the shields on and then taking them off a few minutes in when she had drawn out my nipple and could latch better herself. Eventually she was able to latch herself without them. Only problem was I had to go through the whole toughening up process again without the shields but I can say we broke through the wall after about another week and a half. She's lying in my arms here still breastfeeding at 13 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now