Talk

Advanced search

Biting - is the only solution to stop??

(7 Posts)
MrsNPattz Sun 05-May-13 15:44:57

Just that really, my little monkey (7.5 months) has started biting me when he's feeding (ebf), usually once he's had enough. He's broken the skin on one side and it's agony when he feeds now. I really don't want to stop, in fact I'm not going to, but was just wondering if anyone had any tips to make it easier? Thanks.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Sun 05-May-13 15:46:36

The minute they bite you take them off, put them on the floor and walk away for a minute before trying again. He'll get it, it may be painful until he does though.

Agree - they need to learn that biting=food stops immediately, and even a 7 month old will learn this lesson very quickly - you will get bitten a few more times before he learns, but you wouldn't be able to stop bf cold turkey anyway.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 05-May-13 16:10:36

My DS bit at a similar age. Bi rang the nct helpline and the BFC suggested trying feeding lying down and it really worked. Within a couple of days he had stopped. I thought too that we would have to give up but managed to continue smile

NotQuiteCockney Sun 05-May-13 16:14:30

This webpage is good. Pressing the baby into the breast when he bites does tend to fix the problem.

EauRouge Sun 05-May-13 16:45:31

There's no need to give up. Lots of babies go through a biting phase, it's usually quite short and most mothers continue breastfeeding just fine. There are some really good tips on the link that NotQuiteCockney posted, I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. Good luck!

MrsNPattz Sun 05-May-13 19:30:16

Thank you for your helpful, speedy replies! The Kellymom link is brilliant and there is a link there about treating the damaged nipple. It's definitely when he becomes fed up and doesn't want anymore so I will have to watch him closely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now