Talk

Advanced search

Do Periods effect Milk Supply?

(7 Posts)
Broadie Fri 19-May-06 11:30:03

Hiya

Does anyone know - or did they experience an effect on supply when their periods resumed?

Gutted - got to work this morning and found that my 17month period drought is officially over.

I still breastfeed - have been back at work 8 weeks and express twice a day. Every day I have managed to express the same amount at each session. My daughter and I have a day off together in the week where we exclusively breastfeed and then again over the weekend. My supply has been what I would call abundant. But this morning where I would normally express 180ml without batting an eyelid - I struggled with the 140ml I did express.

Could my period have effect my supply? Will it go back to normal once the cycle passes? Should I fit in an extra pump throughout today to ensure that the supply doesn't drop?

Normally in the afternoon I would only get 140ml - so god knows how much I will get later on.

Anyone know the answer to this one?

debs

suzi2 Fri 19-May-06 17:24:38

I asked this a while back - my AF hadn't returned by I had noticed droughts/abundances of expressed milk at times. So I thought I may have been qorking back to a cycle as such. Anyway, I don't think anyone knew the answer!

I've now had my period back for 2 cycles and I have noticed that I don't express well when I have it. Although that may be due to being tired and feeling grotty too - I'm not a good expresser at the best of times! Mind you, last night (I now only express occasionally) I did very well and that was day 8 of my cycle - so I'll keep an eye on it for you!

Sus

beartime Sat 20-May-06 22:15:21

17mths

bramblina Sat 20-May-06 22:26:44

You've just got me thinking ladies. I had never considered this one.
Have you tried a glass of stout broadie? Apparently that can increase supply. I keep meaning to do it but keep forgetting.

beartime Sun 21-May-06 08:56:04

I had heard that it can be affected, I don't know if temp. or perm. though.

Broadie Sun 21-May-06 20:51:44

17 this includes my pregnancy which was 9 and half mnths plus babies age.

I haven't done the ale thing = though any excuse eh?

Anyhoo - from research apparently they do effect milk supply - great.

Debs

scienceteacher Sun 21-May-06 21:02:32

I had many periods while breastfeeding and honestly didn't notice a difference.

I've had five children and fed each well into the next pregnancy, with the last two tandem nursing. With my last three, my periods returned within 4 months (#4 the day of my six week check!) - that's with fully breastfeeding, round the clock.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: