Talk

Advanced search

DS nearly 1 yrs old, cut down on milk or let him lead the way?

(4 Posts)
sharond101 Sat 04-May-13 22:29:19

DS is 1 in a few weeks. He is taking three meals per day and small snacks like breadsticks but he isn't a big eater and somedays refuses most things I give him. He is still taking almost 600ml milk per day. Should I cut this down or let him decide when he wants to reduce it? I give him solids first now to encourage him to eat more. He won't take yoghurt or cheese. He does like custard though. This is what he had today

7.30am 1/2 weetabix with milk (sometimes with some pureed fruit in)
8.30am 100ml milk
10.30am 1/2 rich tea biscuit, 3 raisins
12noon 1/2 small sandwich, 3 spoons homemade soup
1pm 180ml milk
4.30pm 3 cocktail sausages, 2 potato shapes
6pm small bowl ready brek with milk
7pm 300ml milk

LittleMissLucy Sun 05-May-13 00:57:38

I don't remember the "rules" but my DCs didn't drink milk in the day once they were over 1 yr old and fully eating solids. They had a small morning drink and a small night time drink (100 mls each time).
But to each his own and I think someone more helpful might come along....

Whitewineformeplease Sun 05-May-13 02:01:23

My DD is almost one and I'm going through the same thing. She doesn't eat much, a few mouthfuls of this and that, lots of fruit and she likes pasta, but some days she barely eats anything! I'm worried about cutting down her three bottles a day as well, as at least I can reassure myself that she's getting enough from them. I have noticed, though, that the past week she's starting to cut down on the bottle in the middle of the day. So I think that'll go in the next few weeks. I'm not going to force it, at least at the minute. I think eventually we'll be down to just one bottle, at night.

Emilythornesbff Sun 05-May-13 04:44:25

Well about a pint is the recommendation (including cheese etc) so not masses of milk really.
Personally I would be led by him if you're happy to do so. Especially if he likes the food he has. I was usually happy if ds ate some meat or fish, some fruit and veg and carbs in the day. Looks like your lo sleeps through. So looking good I'd say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now