Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else had to handle nil-by-mouth before surgery with 15 month old?

(4 Posts)
hmotb Sat 04-May-13 12:31:46

My 15-month old son is having surgery next week and I have been told not to breastfeed after 4.30am. He can have water up to 6.30am. His operation is at about 8.30am. Even though he isn't a very young baby he still feeds several times through the night and early morning. Is it simply going to be a case of trying to distract him and/or accept that he will be miserable until after his op or has anyone got any tried and tested tips they can offer? Thanks.

tiktok Sat 04-May-13 13:50:14

Do get a second opinion on this one - not all surgeons regard breastmilk as harmful in the way other foods/drinks can be harmful (I understand the risk is with aspiration under the anaesthetic). Do some googling yourself and you'll find academic papers on it.

Hope things go well for you and him.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 04-May-13 13:59:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hmotb Sat 04-May-13 20:18:29

Many thanks for your advice. I will talk to the consultant next week and find out if it's possible to breastfeed after 4.30am. That would definitely make things easier. And yes, my husband will be there too so I am hoping he can help distract our son. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now