Talk

Advanced search

I can't seem to express any more...

(6 Posts)
gwenniebee Fri 03-May-13 23:22:54

Just wondering if anyone has any advice:

My nearly 10mo dd is still bf for all her milk feeds (normally 4 a day). I am going back to work at the end of the month and had intended to drop her milk feeds to 3 a day, one in the morning and one before bed, and express a bottle for her to have at the childminder's. However - I used to be able to express pretty effectively (using a medela hand pump) but when I have tried in the last week to get some "stock" for the freezer I have been really struggling.

I don't really understand why the change... is there anything I can do to help? If I have to I can give her formula for the childminder, it's not the end of the world, but I am worried that she might not take it, and also I had (very stubbornly) been hoping we could go straight from bf to cow's milk in a couple of months' time.

My other problem is that I am due to go away overnight in a week's time. Now, I have enough milk in the freezer for this time, but I am concerned that if I can't express effectively my supply is going to get mucked up - will it?!

Sorry it's got long...

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 04-May-13 08:30:20

How are you expressing now? Are you doing it while she is feeding, same time of day etc? Hopefully sone lovely MNers will come along and give you some tips, I was always a bit rubbish at expressing smile

Have you thought of just giving her full fat cows milk from a cup for the one feed? I used to feed first thing, when I got home and before bed with the odd night feed and returned to work when mine were 10 months. Never bothered with expressing or formula, cows milk is fine for a drink at this age for a bf baby as long as its not their main drink.

You might want to discuss all of this with a BFC though, have you got the helpline numbers?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 04-May-13 08:30:51

And have you tried a different pump?

gwenniebee Sat 04-May-13 15:02:45

Thanks and sorry for the delay answering... I'm currently not really expressing at all as I haven't got a life needed to for ages. I used my medela hand pump before and it seemed to work well. That's interesting about the cow's milk, though - she'll be nearly 11 months when I go back so maybe I can do that.

glorious Sat 04-May-13 15:21:40

gwennie I express every day and find I get most expressing one side while DD is on the other. You probably need an electric pump for that though. Mornings are best for me and I aim for about the same time each day. Even then the amount I get really varies. There are a lot of resources on www.kellymom.com

gwenniebee Sat 04-May-13 20:51:51

That sounds like a good idea, glorious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now