Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Not sure whether to stop bf, 13 months

(5 Posts)
ClareBaldingsHair Fri 03-May-13 13:43:40

I have really mixed feelings about stopping. DS2 is only on 1 feed a day (and sometimes in the night) and he and I both really love it

I gave up with DS1 at 12 months as grandparents were looking after him for a week while I went away and although I was sad the time felt right as I didn't want him 'asking' and I could see that coming

Pros for giving up this time:
He's not getting any less teeth!
I just can't seem to lose weight at the mo
Would like to be out of frumpy nursing bras
He won't be able to start 'asking' (he's already pulled at the tops of 2 busty family members)

Cons:
I would be sad
DS loves it
My boobs will turn into floppy empty bags for ever more.

It's amazing how many people think they have a say in this! I am getting varying pressure from mum, DH & (mature, educated, breastfed themselves) friends

I know how I would drop the feed - that's not the issue, it's just the emotional side of letting go of it....

NewMumJuly11 Fri 03-May-13 14:00:15

Hi, i had a similar dilema and in the end only stopped breast feeding when DS1 was 20months and then it was because we are expecting our second and I am not sure I could cope with feeding two!

Breast feeding is fantastic for both you and your DS. Generally in the UK we stop bf musch earlier than elsewhere in the world and in fact the World Health Organisation recommends bf till your little one is 2!

I can't see why poeple hurry to stop, as long as it is working for you and your DS I would keep going for as long as you can and/or until you both feel ready to stop.

Its just a personal choice and you have to do what is right for you and your DS!

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 03-May-13 15:06:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 03-May-13 15:13:00

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 03-May-13 15:13:51

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now