Talk

Advanced search

Not sure if latch is correct

(8 Posts)
Tweet2tweet Fri 03-May-13 10:36:03

I have a 3 week old baby. She s gaining weight fine and I think my milk production is fine. The only thing is that she doesn't seem to take in much of the breast to feed. I really struggle with this and she seems to prefer a little bit of breast and nipple.

My nipples are not sore and she is having wet nappies and sometimes over 10 poos a day! However she has ver explosive poos and hiccups a lt. The other thing is that she has terrible wind and seems to be in a lot of pain before passing it. For the last 4 nights she as woken at 3am screaming and can only be settled by sleeping on my chest and she farts a lot before settling. She also doesn't seem to like sleeping on her back and cries a lot in her sleep before doing a fart.

Anyone have this problem or know whether it sounds like a bad latch?

Mummabubbles Fri 03-May-13 16:44:32

My baby is 6weeks old and she has never taken a lot of breast in her mouth. She doesn't open her mouth very wide and takes just the nipple and a very small amount of breast. I have never been sore and she has steadily gained weight and has plenty of wet/dirty nappies. I always check that her bottom lip is 'pouty' when she feeds and assume that as I'm not in any pain she must be latching ok. You could ask health visitor or breast feeding advisor to check latch if you're worried tho....

Eskino Fri 03-May-13 16:51:47

Give her chin a gentle little shove down towards her chest to get her bottom lip to pout out while she is latched. It might just be that she has a tiny wee mouth and looks like she's not on properly but if you're not getting any pain and if her suck feels sort of satisfying then you are doing it right smile.

My dd was very windy (both ends) at that age, now she is 13 weeks she's got a bigger mouth and feeds are much more efficient and lest messy (quicker too which means I don't spend all day BFing).

Congratulations and keep up the good work smile

Eskino Fri 03-May-13 16:55:08

Oh the crying and farting, you could try doing a cycling motion with her legs while she's laid on her back. knee up to chest, then the other one its brilliant for getting the farts out! grin

Tweet2tweet Fri 03-May-13 17:10:56

Thank you! Will give your advice a try! Never thought about a small mouth, makes sense! Will also go to local maternity ward where they ave a breastfeeding support dropin.

Cycling motions as I type!!!

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 03-May-13 18:17:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zombiebanana Fri 03-May-13 21:15:41

I had the same problem... Maybe too much foremilk? Try and feed from one breast only for 3 hours, then the other one for 3 hours. This was the advice I received when I went to a BF clinic. http://kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussybaby

With regards to the farting, I know it sounds a like crazy talk but my son woke himself up farting and crying ALL the time until we started ECing http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/ (we hold him over the toilet when he farts and writhes pre-poo and he goes) and now the wind is not a problem! It's brilliant.

Finally, all this wind and stuff stops being an issue as they grow up and get used to the sensations of their digestive systems. It seems like a big deal ATM but I promise in a couple of months this will have gone from your life and you'll have forgotten all about it.

Tweet2tweet Sat 04-May-13 20:05:08

I haven't heard of EC chef ore. How did you know when to take your dc to toilet/ potty zombiebanana? What age did you start? It's funny you mention this because for the last couple of days my dc has gone to the toilet as soon as I take their nappy off for a change! So you never know....

I do hope it all calms down soon as am very tired, but I am also very lucky to have a lovely little baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now