Talk

Advanced search

Blocked duct ( I think). Help!

(11 Posts)
sebsmama Fri 03-May-13 06:52:19

My 3 month dd is ebf and this has been fine to date. However I think I ave a blockage - my left breast has a large lump ( maybe lumps) near the top. Beneath this it feels normal. She seems to be feeding ok but the latch is suddenly agony and I ant get rid of the lump. Tried a hit shower and massaging it ladt night but i am not sure how to do the massage and if any thing it felt worse.
Does anyone have any advice? She doesnt feed overnight, goes from 11 till 6 ish, if that makes a difference. But shes been doing this for about 6 weeks.
Thanks in advance

IamMrsElf Fri 03-May-13 09:33:32

The fact that she doesn't feed over night might be your issue. Have you tried expressing a bit? To massage start at the top of you breast and gently push and stroke downwards. I bf both my DC and would wake up with mega lumpy breasts if they didn't wake for a feed. I did express with DS1 and found that helped. If there is a blockage, the best way to resolve it is to continue bf. But I would talk to a HV asap to see what she says. I hope this helps. It will get better stick with it!!

sebsmama Fri 03-May-13 10:58:58

Thanks. I havent expressed at all with Dd. i did with DS when he was a baby. Maybe I will try that. I dont think she needs a feed at night, my HV said not to wake her. But expressing is a good idea.
I am just worried this blockage wont go away! Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks again

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 03-May-13 14:19:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 03-May-13 14:21:20

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 03-May-13 14:21:41

sebsmama Sun 05-May-13 00:30:19

Thanks so much. She managed to suck the lump out by herself last night, yay!

There was a 'bleb' there too, but that seems to have gone as well. The Kelly mom stuff was massively useful. Thanks again.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 05-May-13 15:14:11

minipie Sun 05-May-13 16:01:44

yay! if you find it keeps happening, I found taking lecithin helped stop my recurring blocked ducts.

Deearnamaternitynurse Sun 05-May-13 18:39:12

If you experience a lump again i suggest you try and position baby so that the chin is near the lump as this will help to massge the lump out- failing this cup your breast with 4 fingers underneath and with your thumb rub down the line of lumps- Ah just read you are now sorted feel free to message if you have a problem again

sebsmama Sun 05-May-13 22:46:56

Thank you all! smile
Mumsnet is fab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now