Talk

Advanced search

Decongestants

(4 Posts)
Jenijena Thu 02-May-13 11:12:52

Have stinking cold, permanently runny nose for 3 weeks. Feed my 11 month old 3/4 times a day. Have taken antihistamine (after a morning feed) & its not hayfever as made no effect. Just spoken to a doctor who suggested I take decongestants as I have never had any supply issues and if it dries up my milk 'it will come back again on demand'.

Looking at BFN this doesn't seem to be great advice, but i wondered if anyone else had any experience?

Hannah052012 Thu 02-May-13 21:24:36

Hi there, I was just researching this very thing myself a couple of days ago. There's a really good website to look at:

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmilk-information-and-factsheets

For cough and cold remedies it says:

DECONGESTANTS should be avoided by breastfeeding mothers as
they can dramatically reduce milk supply with just one or two doses
e.g. pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine, phenylpropanolamine.

It's seem like a good site as it doesn't just say 'avoid taking any medication if you're breastfeeding'; like gp's and bnf's seem to do. However it does seem quite definite about not taking decongestants, so I'd be inclined to take their advice.

fwiw, I've had a bug for the last few days and my 6 month old bf dd has seemed unsettled, as though she's struggling to get enough milk, even without me taking any meds

Just a thought - what about a decongestant nasal spray? As it's a topical medication it acts locally and so very little gets absorbed by the rest of body.

Hope that's some help to you, and hope you get well soon.

Hannah052012 Thu 02-May-13 21:27:40

Sorry, just realised you've already looked on the bfn website. I misread first time - thought you'd typed BNF (the book gps and pharmacistss use it to look up medications/recommendations etc) Anyway, i hope the last part is useful still!

Jenijena Thu 02-May-13 22:21:40

Thanks... Another spanner in the works as DS is on nursing strike. I am so sad - takes the pressure from feeling ill though ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now