Talk

Advanced search

Very windy/farty 17 day old EBF baby.....

(8 Posts)

DS2 is EBF and is doing a lot of dirty nappies, around ten - twelve a day. He is also very very very windy, always doing a series of mini farts whilst, before and after feeding. DS1 didn't do this so I'm not sure if this is normal. I am not eating any green veg at all, and have tried eating very plain food for a couple of days but this has no impact. Is this normal or should I get it checked? I should add he is putting on weight nicely, above his birth weight etc, doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort, my main concern is I think he still looks a bit jaundiced but midwife has said he's fine.

Victoria2002 Wed 01-May-13 21:51:42

Ds was like that and turned out he has a posterior tongue tie, have you checked for that (Beware tongue tie is a bit controversial, some doctors don't believe in posterior tongue tie). You might need to see a lactation consultant. Best to search for good breast feeding support and see what they say as you might have to pay to see a LC. And another tip: Napisan for all those blow-outs! Ds is fine now, didn't get his TT snipped and his feeding improved over time with good support from a lovely NCT peer supporter.

Dorris83 Thu 02-May-13 02:59:52

Don't have any advice but have exactly the same issue. Watching for more responses with interest...

Meringue33 Thu 02-May-13 04:01:07

Our LO who is four months now was like this for around the first ten weeks. He had prolonged jaundice and I think it is just the body's way of flushing the jaundice out the system. All gone now and he only poos once every other day. Incidentally we were referred to paediatrics automatically when jaundice hadn't cleared at eight weeks, but the paed said prolonged jaundice is very common in bf babies, they did some tests but it cleared up on its own before the results were in.

talulahbeige Thu 02-May-13 07:54:00

My 6 week old ebf baby is exactly the same, we often have to question if an adult made the noise! midwife said it was completely normal for a bf baby to have lots of bottom wind.

Thanks for replies, yes it does sound like an adult farting at times! Ds1 was EBF too and only pooed once very few days so this is a bit of a shock to the system....lets keep each other updated!

He has the heel prick test for jaundice whilst we still in hospital, but the levels were below the treatment line. Will keep mentioning it to the HCP I suppose just to keep it on their radar?

MummyLeg Thu 02-May-13 08:16:46

My DS2 had this initially, cleared up completely by about 3-4 weeks. He really struggled with weight gain and I wonder in retrospect if he was a bit lactose intolerant and I would try something like colief if it happened again.
However, if your baby is gaining weight and happy / not colicky, I would just wait a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now