Talk

Advanced search

DD2 (10mths) prefers formula to bf. Gutted...

(5 Posts)
mangohedgehog Wed 01-May-13 18:45:16

That's it really. Went back at work at 7mths so we started mix feeding, DD2 having formula during the day and me in the nights and mornings.

A few months on and my supply is pitiful. DD2 can't be bothered having to wait 5+ minutes for let down which is only a trickle when it comes anyway. She doesn't ask for bm when I get in from work any more. However wave a bottle in her face and she gets really excited and tries to grab it. She couldn't care less if she gets bm or not.

I thought this would happen. Just a bit depressing. DD1 couldn't get enough of bfing, I weaned her at 2.5 years, but she showed no sign of slowing down even then. DD2 is probably the last baby we'll have, so it all feels a bit final. Am going to try to keep her interest going for a bit longer, til we get to a year at least, but I think it will be a struggle as she's just not into it.

<self pitying>

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 01-May-13 22:49:11

Think I'd be upset with that one too. Have you thought of speaking to a BFC about keeping things going? Have you got the helpline numbers?

mangohedgehog Fri 03-May-13 06:06:33

No I haven't tbh, I was a bit pessimistic about what they could tell me. I don't want to express at work so I'm not sure what other advice they could offer. Is probably worth giving it a go though, they might surprise me.

I wonder if this is the flip side to encouraging mix feeding. It wasn't a problem with DD1 as she never took a bottle and I was at home all the time anyway so it didn't matter how dependent she was on bf. I didn't have that luxury with DD2, and now she's so used to instant gratification with the bottle that she's hardly interested in bf at all.

She does still have 2 feeds a day atm so it's not completely lost yet. I will keep it up as long as possible.

Thanks Jilted for replying to me smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 03-May-13 21:46:02

That's ok. Really feel for you, can totally understand why you would be upset.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 03-May-13 22:32:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now