Talk

Advanced search

eight weeks and bottle fed, won't eat

(5 Posts)
StormyBrid Wed 01-May-13 08:11:04

DD is nearly eight weeks old. We've had feeding issues from the start. Breastfeeding failed, she'd lost 11% of her body weight by day five so we switched to formula. No plans to go back to breastfeeding. I've always worried about how little she eats - based on her body weight she should be on about 25 ounces a day, but aside from a ten day period around the six week mark she's rarely managed 20. Seems to be growing okay. Currently on seven feeds a day, typically taking between two and three ounces at a time.

I feel like she could eat more, but after a couple of ounces she looks worried, throws herself backwards, and starts screaming. After a few seconds she starts rooting for the bottle and giving all the hunger cues, but does the same thing again. Some feeds she does this right from the start. Most feeds end this way. Very rarely she stops because she's had enough and calmly pushes the bottle away with her tongue. There's something wrong stopping her eating, isn't there? Any ideas what?

I've tried different sized teats, different formula, different temperatures, burping halfway through, holding her in different positions. None of this has helped.

The health visitor spotted she has oral thrush last Monday. After a week of nystan it hadn't cleared up, and the doctor prescribed daktarin, and clotrimazole for the associated nappy rash. That last, at least, is clearing up nicely. The daktarin, I'm not so sure about. Her mouth looks almost clear, but she's been projectile vomiting. This means she's only getting about fifteen ounces in her and staying down. It also means the thrush was perhaps not causing the problems with the bottle, as it's nearly gone but she's still screaming.

Breakfast this morning, she started screaming as soon as the bottle touched her lips, but was clearly hungry. By sucking, swallowing, screaming, and repeating, she eventually had two and a half ounces. Ten minutes later it all came back up. Do I feed her again? Wait a while?

Why won't she eat? I'm at my wits' end here.

Cheeka Wed 01-May-13 11:31:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 01-May-13 19:30:24

Could she be tongue tied? It could explain why she didn't put on weight while you were BFing as well.

StormyBrid Wed 01-May-13 20:25:35

Reflux - we've been prescribed gaviscon today but the doctor's not convinced that's the problem. Trying it anyway just to rule it out.

Tongue tie - ehe was checked at a week old and is apparently fine, although I'll mention the possibility to the doctor if there's no improvement. She does have a fair few of the symptoms listed there, but then, it does say other issues can cause the same symptoms.

ozymandiusking Wed 01-May-13 20:37:40

Google Pyloric Stenosis.Your baby is a little older than when this is normally diagnosed, but it might be worth mentioning to your G.P.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now