Talk

Advanced search

40oz milk for a 6 month old surely too much?

(7 Posts)
Thinkmummy Wed 01-May-13 07:03:57

I need peoples opinion ( and help) on my 6 month olds feeding habit. I think I might be over feeding her !

She was ebf up untill 5 months and I have weened her off the breast gradually and now she is on 5 bottles of 8oz formula.

She has milk approx every 3 1/2 - 4 hours during the day, and has recently been taking one at night ( about 11ish). when I was breastfeeding her it was rare that she would feed at night more often than not she would sleep through.

She is also experimenting with food and has about 8 teaspoons full of food at breakfast and tea time.

she always guzzles down the milk and food but looking at it, it seams a lot compared to other peoples babies.

Have I just got a hungry baby or am i getting her into bad habits of overeating?

MortifiedAdams Wed 01-May-13 07:05:53

MIne was like that at six.months and as she started to eat bits, so I reduced her bottles. Do you give water in a sippy cup.with food?

Also, my dd just like to finish a bottle,.so if I did a 6oz one she seemed as content as with an 8oz.one.

Thinkmummy Wed 01-May-13 07:11:08

sorry forgot to mention i do offer water, this doesnt go down so well and she will only take a few sips before spiting the rest out.

fishybits Wed 01-May-13 07:11:56

DD was ff on demand and just before weaning at 6 months she was taking about 9 floz every 3 hours. She is in the 91st centile for height and weight and is not considered over weight at all aged 15 months. She still eats a lot but also moves a lot. I took the view before she was weaned that she would let me know when she'd drunk enough and she did by pushing the bottle away. It never occurred to me I control her milk intake, she was busy growing.

BikeRunSki Wed 01-May-13 07:17:42

That doesn't sound too excessive OP. Has she started to crawl or cruise or anything like that recently? As babies get more mobile they eat more.

Thinkmummy Wed 01-May-13 07:21:01

shes not crawling yet, moving around more rolling and grabbing, this has caused her to fill out more.

PearlyWhites Wed 01-May-13 08:59:33

Sounds a normal amount, my ds 9 months has 42oz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now