Talk

Advanced search

We've spent weeks researching and testing breast pumps and bottles in real homes with real families. Read our baby feeding bottle and breast pump reviews to find out which ones were awarded Mumsnet Best.

40oz milk for a 6 month old surely too much?

(7 Posts)
Thinkmummy Wed 01-May-13 07:03:57

I need peoples opinion ( and help) on my 6 month olds feeding habit. I think I might be over feeding her !

She was ebf up untill 5 months and I have weened her off the breast gradually and now she is on 5 bottles of 8oz formula.

She has milk approx every 3 1/2 - 4 hours during the day, and has recently been taking one at night ( about 11ish). when I was breastfeeding her it was rare that she would feed at night more often than not she would sleep through.

She is also experimenting with food and has about 8 teaspoons full of food at breakfast and tea time.

she always guzzles down the milk and food but looking at it, it seams a lot compared to other peoples babies.

Have I just got a hungry baby or am i getting her into bad habits of overeating?

MortifiedAdams Wed 01-May-13 07:05:53

MIne was like that at six.months and as she started to eat bits, so I reduced her bottles. Do you give water in a sippy cup.with food?

Also, my dd just like to finish a bottle,.so if I did a 6oz one she seemed as content as with an 8oz.one.

Thinkmummy Wed 01-May-13 07:11:08

sorry forgot to mention i do offer water, this doesnt go down so well and she will only take a few sips before spiting the rest out.

fishybits Wed 01-May-13 07:11:56

DD was ff on demand and just before weaning at 6 months she was taking about 9 floz every 3 hours. She is in the 91st centile for height and weight and is not considered over weight at all aged 15 months. She still eats a lot but also moves a lot. I took the view before she was weaned that she would let me know when she'd drunk enough and she did by pushing the bottle away. It never occurred to me I control her milk intake, she was busy growing.

BikeRunSki Wed 01-May-13 07:17:42

That doesn't sound too excessive OP. Has she started to crawl or cruise or anything like that recently? As babies get more mobile they eat more.

Thinkmummy Wed 01-May-13 07:21:01

shes not crawling yet, moving around more rolling and grabbing, this has caused her to fill out more.

PearlyWhites Wed 01-May-13 08:59:33

Sounds a normal amount, my ds 9 months has 42oz

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: