Talk

Advanced search

I had one cigarette

(10 Posts)
ooopsbadcall Sun 28-Apr-13 20:42:59

and am bfing a 6 month old. Will it affect the baby?
I am a really really occasional smoker and it was my first one in over 2 years - maybe 3.

firstpost Sun 28-Apr-13 20:48:17

Dont beat yourself up smile It's fine. Smoking and breastfeeding is not ideal but not harmful to your baby. I believe the advice for mothers who are "committed" smokers is still to breastfeed rather than bottle feed if possible? They do say leave as long as possible between smoking and feeding but really dont worry too much especially as it is a one off.

ooopsbadcall Sun 28-Apr-13 20:53:07

It was stupid of me but I met up with a friend who I've always had a cigarette with and just really felt like it. I'd fed baby just before so can leave some time before the next feed.

ginmakesitallok Sun 28-Apr-13 20:54:41

No it won't affect your baby.

Geckoandthemonkey Sun 28-Apr-13 21:00:16

Smoking while breastfeeding is still.healthier than formula.

Think of all the additives, corn syrup solids, chemicals, etc that are put in formula.

You'd have to smoke regularly for it to be able to harm baby.

FattyMcChubster Sun 28-Apr-13 21:03:07

Does anyone know, could you have a cigarette or two at night after last feed (if baby sleeps through) and it not affect them? Or is that still really bad?

Geckoandthemonkey Sun 28-Apr-13 21:11:24

Are you ready for a flaming? Rahaha!

I know my great gran successfully bf her 3 dc's & smoked. She also tandem Bf & Bf my dgf til he was 3. He died aged 90.

ooopsbadcall Sun 28-Apr-13 21:17:46

I know I shouldn't have done it, just wanted to know if its harmful or not.
I didn't think one really would be, so went ahead and had it.
Then I started worrying.

rootypig Sun 05-May-13 16:57:32

I've had a few cheeky cigarettes while BFing my DD. (always when out, far away from her!)

From my reading up I'd say while not smoking is always preferable, the amount of nicotine that gets into your milk is small, and like alcohol it is metabolised from your milk - the half life of nicotine according to La Leche League is 95 minutes. I keep my smoking to a minimum but decided I was ok with the level of risk (I'm talking about maybe 2 cigarettes a week). That was my decision. In the grand scheme of things, the pollution my baby breathes because we live in London is probably much more significant in terms of her long term health.

www.lalecheleague.org/faq/smoking.html

rootypig Sun 05-May-13 16:59:11

Sorry should also have said - milk is just one part of it - actually, I was more concerned about the second hand smoke in my hair and on my clothes, and on the few nights I have smoked have been conscientious about bathing and changing before cuddling / sleeping near DD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now