Talk

Advanced search

Breastfed baby biting!

(4 Posts)
marshmallow2468 Sun 28-Apr-13 07:39:20

Morning all,

DS is three months old and fully breastfed. It's been going pretty well, but he's started biting me during feeds. Thankfully he's not got teeth yet, but it's painful. Are there any ways of getting him to stop? I was hoping to continue breastfeeding until 6 months, or at least a bit closer to it, but not sure I can cope with another 3 months of biting!

dreamingofanallotment Sun 28-Apr-13 08:24:25

I found that unlatching my DD after she'd tried to bite, pausing for a moment, and then offering boob again seemed to do the trick.I guess she associated the biting with a break in feeding, and decided she didn't want that! Her mouth would change shape too as they can't really bite when fully latched on, so sometimes you can pre-empt a bite by quickly unlatching?
Hope it stops soon for you so you can carry on feeding without the fear of being bitten!

MoreSnowPlease Sun 28-Apr-13 12:31:41

Maybe she's teething. My DS always bites when he has teeth coming, it usually just lasts a few days to a week. Then a tooth appears and he stops. I would always unlatch him and say no or offer a teether instead if he wasn't really feeding and just looking to bite something.

DS got his first two teeth early in his 4th month so could be that you see some teeth soon!

He's still feeding at 10 months with full set of front top and bottom teeth...still bites occasionally but much easier to get him to understand not to now....good luck!

Sizzlesthedog Sun 28-Apr-13 15:28:52

I had this, the advice I was given was to stop the feed. Place baby away from you, then pick up and feed again.

Sounds like its a bit harsh, but I only did it once, didn't get bitten again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now