Talk

Advanced search

How long does your letdown last?

(6 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Sat 27-Apr-13 20:10:45

I know that mine is quick but I'm just wondering how quick it is compared to others.

If I have managed to go 2 hours without DS feeding then it will probably make it to 30 seconds but usually he feeds much more often or if I haven't drunk much water then it could be 5-10 seconds. I'd say it averages about 20 seconds.

So how long does your LO take to gulp that rush of milk down?! Is our feeding really abnormal?

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 27-Apr-13 22:59:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 28-Apr-13 12:25:20

Oh, the low response suggests it's not so easy for people to tell or something maybe!

DS is 10 months. I mean the actual let down, so feed I guess but DS sucks for a bit until he gets a letdown which lasts about 20 seconds of frantic gulping and then he sucks again until he gets another sometimes. Mostly he just finishes then.

The reason I ask is because when he was little I don't think I could tell the difference at all, I assumed he was getting milk all the time and I had a very good supply. But now because of TT issues he has got into a habit of doing this quick snacking and it means he feeds every hour at night and still frequently in the day. When I hear other people talk about feeding their toddler they talk about 5-10 minutes like you...well there's no way he would feed that long. I wonder whether I have low supply or whether my milk has just adjusted to accommodate his snacking or whether it's normal etc...!

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 28-Apr-13 13:21:56

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 28-Apr-13 13:26:29

MoreSnowPlease Sun 28-Apr-13 13:52:50

Ok, maybe I'm using the wrong term then but anyway, he does the same as you describe, but for 20 seconds instead of 5 minutes...

Just said letdown because if I said how long does your feed last then that would include comfort sucking too!

So at 20 seconds, that's not very long is it?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now