Talk

Advanced search

Lack of poos in BF baby?

(12 Posts)
HadALittleFaithBaby Sat 27-Apr-13 16:03:05

(No I'm not the poo troll!).

DD is 13 days old. Had some feeding issues to start with and had some formula in hospital but has been having BM only for 10 days now. She was having regular poos but they seem to have slowed and she hasn't poo'd now for nearly 3 days...plenty of wet nappies, seems contented between feeds and her tummy doesn't look swollen or anything. I mentioned it to the midwife who said they don't worry unless its been 5 days. Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to move things along?
She's my PFB and I feel like I'm learning on the job!

awkwardsis Sat 27-Apr-13 16:05:21

My ds regularly went up to ten days without a poo at a newborn. When it came it stank like nothing on earth! But I was told it was perfectly normal and because there is so little waste in breast milk.

HadALittleFaithBaby Sat 27-Apr-13 16:07:21

Just using up everything she's getting? I've read around and all the advice seems really conflicting! I'll see how she goes (and prepare for the poos that may follow!).

HadALittleFaithBaby Sat 27-Apr-13 16:07:31

Oh ps thanks! smile

CitrusyOne Sat 27-Apr-13 16:08:14

Agree- think dd went About a fortnight between poos. Is ok. Could try cycling her legs for her or pushing them up to her chest, orassaging tummy in a clockwise direction, but don't worry- is normal in bf babies.

CitrusyOne Sat 27-Apr-13 16:09:00

Yes op- no waste in breastmilk so their bodies absorb almost all of it so no need for so much poo ;-)

5madthings Sat 27-Apr-13 16:13:24

The no waste in breastmilk is true in older babies but in very new babies that isnt the case.

You say you are getyinh plenty of wet nappies and baby is putting on weight? Seems to be feeding ok so maybe is just building up to a poo explosipn! As you are still in touch with midwife call her if you have any concerns and keep an eye on baby.

Do.you have a bfeeding clinic or counsellor you can see?

Longdistance Sat 27-Apr-13 16:18:46

Hey. Yes, bf babies can go 10 days without producing a poo. So don't worry, the BM is being used up well.

You could cycle your baby's legs a little, with a nappy on, otherwise you may need to duck out of the way grin

HadALittleFaithBaby Sat 27-Apr-13 16:27:35

Yes, plenty of wet nappies and weighed on Thursday had gained 5 1/2oz since Tuesday! She's snoozing at the moment so I'll try cycling her legs when she wakes up. We were discharged from the midwife after her weigh in on Thursday but I have the health visitor's details so if she hasn't poo'd by Monday I'll ring her.

tiktok Sat 27-Apr-13 17:03:00

The advice you get is conflicting because the norms change depending on the age of the baby. A young baby - say under three weeks - would normally poo several times a day. And older baby, it doesn't matter (nothing to do with breastmilk being all used up - if that was the case then we would not have a poo explosions you get when they do ago after 5/10/15 days smile It's to do with a change in the reflexes of the lower bowel). With a young baby, days without pooing can still be ok, but it makes sense to weigh and to check overall well-being. In your case, OP, all seems to be fine smile

HadALittleFaithBaby Mon 29-Apr-13 19:47:56

Still no result and that's 5 days now so I've left a message this morning with the HV team asking them to call, message says they'll call within 24 hours, just to be on the safe side. Hoping that doing that gets things moving!

HadALittleFaithBaby Sun 05-May-13 21:04:18

Thought I'd update - no sooner was GP appointment booked than we discovered a huge poo! It was soft so I don't think she was particularly constipated. Then we had another five days without but now we've had 3 in the last 24 hours so I'm hoping things are moving along naturally now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now