Talk

Advanced search

when did your BF baby start getting quicker at feeding?

(9 Posts)
LillyofWinchester Sat 27-Apr-13 08:58:14

I have heard BFing gets quicker once the baby starts getting more efficient at taking the milk, if you BF your baby when did you start noticing the feeds getting shorter & how long did they take? I've seen some people on here talk of 10 minute feeds for example. When does this happen?

My DS is 3 months & feeds are usually about 30 mins at the moment.

Beatrixpotty Sat 27-Apr-13 08:59:48

DS3 is 6 weeks and most feeds are 10-15 mins

FreeButtonBee Sat 27-Apr-13 09:01:44

My twins are just starting to speed up - it was taking an hour to begin with. We are now down to 30 mins ish with the odd 15-20 min feed here and there. Twins are 11 weeks. Hang in there!

80QuidYoniJob Sat 27-Apr-13 09:02:10

I think it was about 3/4 months, Maybe 5? But DD would still have long feeds when tired or in the evening.

Are you sure she is actually swallowing milk that whole time? My DD would have stayed latched on all day if I'd let her! Can you see and hear her swallowing? She might just be comfort sucking towards the end of the feed.

80QuidYoniJob Sat 27-Apr-13 09:03:21

I've just realised I've been saying 'she' when you have a DS. blush sorry about that!

moonprayer Sat 27-Apr-13 09:21:29

My DS used to have really long feeding session, 30+ min each side. I think from 3mths he starts to speed up and becomes quite efficient, especially I have a forceful let-down so I guess to some extent he has to, or else sometimes he may get choked. Although he normally takes most of the breast within 5min, I still love him to hang there for a bit longer like about 20min to actually get to second letdown and more hind milk, though sometimes he just gets impatient and pulls away...
I am returning to work in two months time, and can't think when the little head is no longer hanging at my breast... So I am making most of the fun time when he is still now.. It would be a precious memory I would definitely miss...

MyNameIsSuz Sat 27-Apr-13 09:38:47

Mine took an hour until he was about 5 months! He's now 7 months and done in ten minutes.

Wigeon Sat 27-Apr-13 19:45:46

My DD1 was always a quick feeder, even when quite small. I think it just depends on the baby (as with pretty much everything to do with them!)

LillyofWinchester Sat 27-Apr-13 22:21:46

Ah ok, looks like there is quite a lot of variation then.

80quid im not very good at telling when he's done as sometimes I think he's fallen asleep but when i take him off he wants more. Also now he's started getting more distracted during feeding its harder to tell when he's done...

Good to know there is scope for him to get quicker though - not that I begrudge feeding him but sometimes would be good if he speeded up a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now