Talk

Advanced search

Fed up - reflux, constant feeding and fussing...

(6 Posts)
bicyclebuiltforfour Fri 26-Apr-13 21:06:16

DS is 9wks old and EBF. He has pretty bad reflux: he brings up quite a lot after every feed (no projectile though and it doesn't seem to bother him). He fusses a lot at the breast (shaking his head from side to side, pulling off etc), and seems to be permanently hungry (the longest he'll go is 3hrs even at night: I generally feed at least 4 times in the 7hrs I try to get in bed).

He's gaining weight really well though (he's huge!) so the doctors aren't too worried, just keep saying to feed him in a more upright position. I know I have a fast letdown and lots of milk from previous experience with DD so I figure this is playing some part. It seems to be worse after I have a drink (even just a small one), but this might be coincidence.

I'm just getting fed up of it. BF is already a chore rather than the pleasure it was with DD. It's messy (we both end up covered in milk), time consuming (when you factor in the outfit changes required after) and a bit of a pain (DD is 2.8 and desperate for attention, and it feels like I'm spending most of the time with DS on my boob...). However formula is not an option: I fed DD for a year I'm so convinced of the benefits of BF, so I'm pretty determined to do the same for DS.

Is there anything which can be done? Or can anyone at least reassure me that this will end (preferably soon...)? My heart sinks when he wakes for a nap since I know it's time to get my boobs out...

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 26-Apr-13 21:17:08

Poor you. Has he been checked for tongue tie? Might be worth checking out smile

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 26-Apr-13 21:30:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 26-Apr-13 21:32:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noblegiraffe Sat 27-Apr-13 09:30:13

My DS was also very sicky, but gaining weight etc so the doc said it was a laundry issue. How are you dealing with the sick after feeding? We used to burp him sitting upright after every feed with a muslin tucked under his chin covering his entire body and that would usually catch enough that his outfit was ok. Also, he lived in bibs. The entire house was also covered in muslins, his swing, his baby gym, his basket, and we had a throw on the sofa.
I found that feeding him from two sides would just make him sick up more, so I only ever fed from one side at a time. He would feed every two hours, but then he was doing that anyway and sicking it up if I offered both sides. He needed little and often.
Gradually I realised I was doing less and less washing of muslins and he was staying in the same outfit all day. He stopped being sick completely at around 3-4 months.

bicyclebuiltforfour Sat 27-Apr-13 16:04:00

Thank you for all the support: it's so lovely. Feel very alone with this: am almost scared to talk more to the doctors about it in case they push formula (not sure why they would, but had a nasty episode with jaundice when he was a week old and their immediate reaction was 'formula!' which is lodged in my mind).

Anyway.

I'm feeding him sitting up now and am just going to use the one breast. Not concerned about my supply: I have loads! I did that last night and the other boob got pretty unhappy, but it seemed to help. I've also started putting him in the car seat to rest after feeds which is working wonders: that angle seems to be good.

And good to hear that it's just a phase (as most things seem to be!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now